Thread: Incorrect Milage on MOT cert

Default Incorrect Milage on MOT cert

Just bought a new car from a dealer. The recorded milage on the latest MOT certificate does not correspond to the service history and is 35000 less than the current milage. fearing the odeometer had been wound back i spent a worried night wandering what to do. I spoke to my local freindly test station who said not to worry too much as it was probbably entered onto the cert wrongly. i checked the MOT history on-line and that was also showing the incorect value. I contacted the issuing MOT tester who looked it up on his computer. And yes.... the cerificate had been printed with the wrong milage (just 1 single digit removed 30000 miles). and he gave me the correct milage at the time of testing and promissed to send me a letter confirming this. THe new figure tied in perfectly with the service history and current milage. OK... i am now re-assured that my new car is showing genuine miles. I spoke to VOSA re: getting their system updated as i dont want any trouble selling it in the future, or any future buyer going through the same worry i did. They were quite helpful offering plenty of sympathy and said it was a common problem but something that is not easily sorted. I need to arrange an appointment with the senior manager who will then asses the car, he will need to see some documentary evidence of an error (i.e the letter from the garage highlightng the mistake), and then, only maybe, at his discresion will he ammend their records, and even then, he can only update it to the current milage, not the milage at the time of the test. Even though i am happy that it was only a clerical error and my mind has been laid to rest, can foresee trouble explaining all this to future buyers who wish to see the MOT history as the incorrect figure will probably always be shown and, or if VOSA ammends it to the current milage it will look like the car has done 0 miles for 7 months. Not sure what to do, should i take it back to the dealer and try and resolve it with him and if possible stear-clear of the car because of this irregularity. Or should i accept the situation as one of those things and as the false milage only appears on the MOT history and not the AA car check (that uses the DVLA records) that i have belatedly done, hope that a future buyer who may have done his homework (unlike myself) will accept the explanation with the supporting letter from the garage and hopefully milage correction?

I think you have done enough,if you keep the car for a year or 2 is it going to make that much differance, you have proof of what happened they will have to take or leave it.

you're probably right...its just a hassle i could do with out....i can't see my self selling privatly, will probably part ex it in a year or 2, are dealers likely to check out the old MOT details with a trade in?, i assume they would as its easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by number1 View Post
    you're probably right...its just a hassle i could do with out....i can't see my self selling privatly, will probably part ex it in a year or 2, are dealers likely to check out the old MOT details with a trade in?, i assume they would as its easy to do.
    I don,t think so they normally send the older models directly to the auctions
    after the sale.

I believe that the dealer had picked up my car from the auctions so the previous owner had probably part ex'd it, i just hope no other problems are lying in wait for me, i couldn't take the stress. Any car dealers reading this?? Here's an idea for a money making sideline and helping people like me: Offer a car buying seminar, 50 or something like that for an hour to take novices like myself through the car buying process...a group of 10, 500 for an hours work....it would be cash well spent and it would increase your profile,

..next time i think i will either buy new or nearly new from an approved dealer or just spend 500 on a diposable car....reading some of the posts on here and other forums i just dont want the hasstle and stress. My theory is, that if the car is any good the owner probably wouldn't want to sell it..

I believe that the dealer had picked up my car from the auctions so the previous owner had probably part ex'd it, i just hope no other problems are lying in wait for me, i couldn't take the stress. Any car dealers reading this?? Here's an idea for a money making sideline and helping people like me: Offer a car buying seminar, 50 or something like that for an hour to take novices like myself through the car buying process...a group of 10, 500 for an hours work....it would be cash well spent and it would increase your profile,

..next time i think i will either buy new or nearly new from an approved dealer or just spend 500 on a diposable car....reading some of the posts on here and other forums i just dont want the hasstle and stress. My theory is, that if the car is any good the owner probably wouldn't want to sell it..
    Next time you want a change DON,T rush in abd buy the first shinny one you see. Do your homework calculate what you can afford,pick a car that take,s your fancy ie model,engine size, spec,value on second hand market visit dealers for offers.Check on web for reviews on the model you fancy and last of all when you have made up your mind HAGGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

next time i think i will either buy new or nearly new from an approved dealer or just spend 500 on a diposable car....reading some of the posts on here and other forums i just dont want the hasstle and stress. My theory is, that if the car is any good the owner probably wouldn't want to sell it..
    Wouldnt a nearly new car be a worry buying it as why did they give it back so soon, i think best age of car to look into is 3 years plus as the person probably just wanted to sell to get a new car not because the old one is bad

Quote Originally Posted by tenpinn View Post
    Wouldnt a nearly new car be a worry buying it as why did they give it back so soon, i think best age of car to look into is 3 years plus as the person probably just wanted to sell to get a new car not because the old one is bad
    The simple answer is no a lot of nearly new are registered by dealers to get there quote in, some of these cars may have less than a 1,000 miles on them.So get in there some fantastic deals about.Another tip if you want new always go to dealer towards end of month as salemen will give best deal to make there quoter.have nice W/E as I gone fishing

i've only bought 1 car before, a 1989 rover 216 sx for 500, it got me arround and only let me down on a coule of occations, my last car was given to me, it had been in family since it was a year old and and before that it was a mobility car.it covered 140k miles, 50k in 3 years under my care. Its is so much better when you either know that nothing is hidden in a car, or if there is, its no great loss. when you spend quite a bit of cash on something that may or may not be ok it is difficult to relax. Maybe its just me, i do hate parting with cash, the sad thing is, if you buy a problem car and you manage to get rid of it, it just means that someone else out there is going to loose out. Anyway, i have a 170 mile drive home in it now so i hope all goes well