Thread: Car insurance claim post accident

Default Car insurance claim post accident

Hello,

My husband's car was recently hit at the back when he was stationary in a traffic signal. My husband directed the other car driver to park in a corner. The other car driver was initially very cooperative and accepted his mistake and agreed to pay for the claim. My husband was a little distressed due to the accident hence it went out of his mind at that time to click a photo of the car or take down any other details like registration number, other party's insurance details etc. He just got the mobile number. Then immediately the next day the other driver started avoiding my husband's calls. I have proof of sms exchanged and the other driver has challenged my husband to do what he can and he has provided my husband with all wrong details, over the phone, about his car registration etc. My husband is very disturbed mentally because of all this chaos. We have spoken to our insurance agent and given them complete details to track the other driver through the mobile number. But I would like to know if I can file a police complaint of fraudulence and cheating and request the police as well to track the offender based on his mobile number, as this whole exercise is nothing but mental harassment for us.

Any advice on this would be highly appreciated

Cheers

I would go to the Police. If he has given you false details, he is probably uninsured.

If the other driver failed to provide his details, details of the vehicle and the owners details as well as the registration mark, then he has committed the offence of failing to stop and report the crash which is a specific offence, it does not just include the actual stopping at the scene. Bear in mind that unless there was obvious injury, then there is no requirement to produce insurance details.

So, yes the other driver can be reported to the Police, and they should be able to trace the details of the person via the mobile phone number you have in your possession.

You can also allow your insurance company to investigate as they have their own in house investigators with various tools that allows them to trace individuals such as this.

Quote......"I would go to the Police. If he has given you false details, he is probably uninsured."

That is exactly what I would have said as well. I only hope the bloke hasn't dumped that mobile phone, as Ive been told that PAYG phones can be hard to trace but I hope things go well for you.

@rolebama, @TC1474, @smudger- Thanks a lot. We have a filed a case with Police. Lets see how it goes. Thanks for your help