Thread: Driving in Portugal

Default Driving in Portugal

We are going to Lisbon in the Autumn and will hire a car from the airport.

Does anyone know how car hire companies deal with electronic tolls?
    Can anyone suggest a good car hire company.
    I am fairly experienced at driving on the wrong side of the road but any tips related to Portugal would be appreciated.

Certainly not my experience last year. We had a hire car for two weeks in Central Portugal and everyone seemed more law abiding than here in the UK.

From what I read the situation in the South is different and a lot of the problems are caused by tourists and ex-pats. We found a huge contrast between the main roads which have been improved at the EU expense, and the other roads which are often little more than farm tracks.

I would recommend anyone to holiday there except that the hire car business is appallingly run and rip-offs seem the order of the day. The people we met were unfailingly kind and helpful and it is a beautiful place.

Lovely people, but the death rate on their roads is the highest in Western Europe, and double that of the UK.

Whether that's the fault of the natives or the tourists and ex-pats is a bit academic if you're the victim!

Yes it is double the UK in terms of deaths compared with population, with 7.9 there and 3.6 here. Greece takes the top spot though with 14.4, similar to most of the old Balkan countries like Montenegro. Luxembourg is behind them at 9.

The USA is on 12.3 and Canada 9.2. The World average is 20.8, distorted by countries like Egypt and Libya where it is well above 40.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate