Thread: urgent advice needed on car purchased from dealer

Default urgent advice needed on car purchased from dealer

Hi

My son just passed his test and last thursday bought himself a 56 reg clio from a dealer. we know nothing about cars, had a look at it, its a bit battered with a few scratches and dents here and there and the guy said it was priced right for those reasons. anyway he collected the car after a service and mot. when i got home that eveing he said why was the orange light on all the time. the exhaust warning light was on, on trun over it makes a grinding noise for a second or two, the blower makes a rackett and the bolts have been removed under the bonnet so some tickering has been done. the clutch is high and hard but very stiff, when i took the oil cap off it had white sludge.......so with all this i phone the guy and said it is coming back as i was unhappy on these issues and that i didnt want my son driving a car that had problems to begin with iniatlly last week (fri) he was ok with this, today i ring to say its coming back this afternoon he got a bit shirty, kept calling me madam saying with greatest respect no warning light was on when he left his garage, said he would look at it, i said i want the money back....what do i do this afternoon when i go back with it

The dealer must fix it; all cars sold by dealers have to be guaranteed for six months. The dealer has two choices fix it or take it back. See Consumers Direct web site for more information.

Or this site which puts it all in simple English.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...t/your-rights/

Welcome to the site jemmaelf, going by what I have read in your post, the car sounds like a Lemon?

The sludge on the oil cap would be enough for me to walk away from it!

,As already mentioned the dealer has to fix the car to make it "fit for purpose"

I hope it works our OK for you, but next time you go car haunting, take someone with you who knows about cars, no offense meant.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Welcome to the site jemmaelf, going by what I have read in your post, the car sounds like a Lemon?

The sludge on the oil cap would be enough for me to walk away from it!

,As already mentioned the dealer has to fix the car to make it "fit for purpose"

I hope it works our OK for you, but next time you go car haunting, take someone with you who knows about cars, no offense meant.

We have both had cars for years, usually cars around 6mths old and in the past took my brother in law who knows a bit......this Im afraid is all down to a very inpatient son who really needshis something well and truly booted because him rushing to buy a car is not only going to be expensive for him but it just causes so many arguments and stress at home.

anyway took it back, little me versus dealer, he accepted the faults and will put it on the computer tomorrow then call me, i said I wanted to know the fault code and not to remove the bulb!! he said we will then talk about him repairing it, I said i would like my money back but then quoted something about thats what warranties are for and he has to have the chance to put it right anyway its me against a dealer so he will always have the upper hand ....see what happenstomorrow but i have suggested to my son to get a second job or do some overtime cos I have a feeling this thing is going to cost in the future......thanks for the advice Mandy

Quote...."anyway its me against a dealer so he will always have the upper hand "

Well, it doesn't have to be.that way really, you could take someone with you, or even better, get a RAC or AA inspection done on it, I know that might cost you, but the cost could be a lot cheaper than any big repair bills later, so it could work out to be cost effective, good luck

wot this so called man is doing is absolutely disgusting,people like this know exactly wot they are selling,they just dont have any morals.Abit of advice wud be to keep your cool bite your tounge and get every penny back.If he tries ********ting you on the refund just mention the words "Trading Standards" that shud do the trick,they wont want them sniffing round.