Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LED daytime light dazzle

Cool LED daytime light dazzle

LED "get out of my way" lights originated as a decree by the German EU Industry Commissar as a way of selling a dummy on other proposed EU legislation which would have meant for example that Porche engines would not get an exemption on noise legislation - which they now have - on the grounds that the racket they produce is somehow "sporty".

Not only are these 1200 candela lights dazzling,they are dangerous, because they cause split second blindness and a lot can happen in a split-second. When daylight headlights were made compulsory in Poland and in Austria casualties increased. Unfortuneately, I would expect this to happen in Britain as it has in France.

Austrian opthalmologists have shown how dangerous they can be - see DRL website dadrl.org.uk for details. Cyclist, motor-cyclist, and pedestrian organisations are against them.British traffic police cars have the daytime lights on their Volvos sensibly disabled.

We are supposed to be saving energy but these things take about 45 watts out of your alternator - not much but multiply that by thousands and it adds up. Volvos are ridiculous because they have LED lights on in addition to headlamps all the time - FOUR lights on in broad daylight! Why not have a flashing orange beacon on the roof as well? Or perhaps have the horn sound every two seconds?

Turning the highway into a stream of light is not safe, is wasteful and changes the nature of the road and the landscape. It is environmental pollution of the first order.

These nasties can be disabled by your friendly mechanic so that YOU can control your lights not the EU! Remember in Blighty we don't need them. Although of course I am sure there is a team of well-paid Brussels bureacrats beavering away at making them compulsory.

I think one of the reasons for lights to be automatically switched on when the vehicle is in motion was a ay of reducing the number of vehicles being driven in poor vivibility conditions. This all kicked off before the fad for lights of Blackpool Promenade intensity came into being on vehicles. The jury is still out as to whether daylight running lights are a good or a bad thing, but the comment about British traffic police having them disabled on their Volvos is possibly a guide towards what is best.
    The way that situation is going though, perhaps we might all end up by driving in sunglasses at all times to deal with the problem of vehicle lights!

You're right Snowball! But sunglasses are one of the reasons why some accidents occur. Look at the number of people driving around in cloudy weather with headlights and sunglasses on. How many batsmen use dark glasses?

Re: LED intensity, I think MAN trucks have it right - the minimum the legislation allows, but enough to work as marker lights in gloomy conditions. I really think the bureaucrats should re-think LED intensity.

I am a bit confused here, LED (Light Emitting Diodes) are used in modern running lights but are not used in headlamps. I agree that running lights are pointless; I have not seen any data that shows any improvement in road safety due to them being fitted. They do put motorcyclists at greater risk, prior to the new regulations a vehicle with lights on in the daytime was unusual therefore warranted attention, now they are becoming normal and therefore do not warrant attention.

Only joking about sunglasses for all weathers, Bilon. But I did have an Audi behind me the other day, during daytime, and his running lights were exceptionally bright. I can see the problem of all vehicle lights on in daytime being no better than all being off. Our local service bus company has ordered all its drivers to have their dipped headlights on during daytime. You'd think a bus is big enough to see, anyhow.

One change I've noticed to the lighting regulations is; our previous caravan had three amber reflectors down each side of the van; whereas our new one must has, by regulations, amber lights.
    A few extra bulbs to carry (ha,ha) but it does make sense.
    Where anyone has been unfortunate enough to have a daytime accident, it would be interesting to know if the police have ever made a point of asking/checking whether any running lights/dipped headlights were in operation.

Not having a good day here and utterly confused!

Okay, you have main beam and dip beam and sidelights; then you can have front foglights; driving lights (working when main beam on or on separate switch) and these funny little lights that I presume are running lights quite often in the bumper area.

So, what did the car I've just seen have on? It appeared to have dipped beam and the afore-mentioned little strip lights in the bumper plus either spots or front fogs on just under front bumper. And it's shirtsleeves weather this pm. Don't ask me what sort of car; was too busy trying to get out of its way - he was driving way too fast for Main Street.

Quote..." then you can have front foglights; driving lights (working when main beam on or on separate switch)"

I think the fog lights would only work if the headlights were in "Dipped" beam.

I know the lights you mean though, they are a row of small lights,a lot of newer cars have then now, mind you, they are more viable.

Smudger, the driving lights are the ones supplementary to main beam - had them on my Alfas and Crappys and they're fantastic as you get a much wider field of view (would have been very useful tonight for advance warning of the huge amount of livestock on the road!) and having seen a mate's Freelander with them retro-fitted, am tempted for up here! But I would have them definitely on a separate switch not automatically when on main beam.

My front fogs only work with dipped beam. Sorry if didn't express myself clearly.

You're spot on with the third one.

However, when you actually see a vehicle, which are running lights and which front fogs or driving lights someone's forgotten to turn off? Whatever, they're extremely bright !

At one time, I always thought that 'running lights' were the obligatory side and tail lights. Regarding these extra two lights situated low down in the bumper, there now seems to be some doubt as to whether they are fog lights or driving lights. There are further variations, such as one light illuminating according to turning of the steering wheel; our daughter's Touran does this, yet these lights on her previous Touran did not.
    I have heard of at least one driver (a woman) who ended up in court for using these fog lights in broken patches of mist; the police claiming that there wasn't sufficient fog for them to be used. Now, a great many drivers have them switched on as a matter of course, and it appears that it is a lottery as to whether or not using them can land a driver in court.

Between them, the manufacturers and the police have created a situation culminating in one more trap for drivers to fall into!

Our lighting regs used to, and as far as I am aware still do, prohibit the use of any lamps whose centre is less than 24" from the ground, to use in fog and falling snow only. Now it is 'trendy' to have foglights on at all times, manufacturers are fitting their DRLs in the front bumpers, which I believe is a blatant flouting of our lighting regs. However, I am sure that being multi-million industries, it doesn't matter.