Thread: Handheld Diagnostic Scanner

Default Handheld Diagnostic Scanner

I am looking for a handheld diagnostics scanner that is compatible with 2010 Peugeot Bipper Tepee 1.4 HDi, I have looked at a Vgate Scan MB880 which has Peugeot on it's list but does anyone have one? which do you use?, I have Lexia 3 + S.1279 but had a problem setting up software and thought a handheld would be less hassle to use. I think the Bipper is a CAN BUS interface please correct me if I am wrong.

How much do you want to spend? If you are wanting only engine management stuff then EOBD will work on this diesel as it is after 2005. If you want to do airbags, immobiliser etc then there are virtually no tools that can do this properly without spending lots of money. The vast majority of cars are can bus these days.
    If you buy Planet and Lexia from a reputable source they should work fine. There is always a risk when buying the Chinese copies but buying through a UK seller should avoid this. Unless you go for Autologic at 6,500 or Bosch KTS 670 at a similar price, the Lexia is your best bet. Mine work well including programming and for less than a tenth of the other two.

Default Only wanted to spend about 60

Hi Hometune, thanks for your reply.
    I know the ones at main dealers cost a fortune plus expensive updates each year and out of my depth. I bought the Lezia 3 + S.1279 adapter and all software from xcar360, my problem is getting software to accept codes when installing as no manual, I will be trying it again when I feel up to it as I know it is best.
    All I want to do is monitor the CHECK ENGINE light as it often comes on for short & long periods before going out but car runs perfectly, I think it is doing short journeys 10 to 20 mile round trips, driving it hard when warmed up seems to help keep it off but reduces mpg. I would like to be able plug in a handheld diagnostics as they also show faults pending before light comes on I understand. I know they don't give exact part at fault just a guide
    Kee Automotive have the Vgate Scan MB880 for about 64 delivered, they claim best to date but they would do to sell it, no one will guarantee it will work on any specific vehicle just says Peugeot among a long list of cars. Can also get it 47.66 from China just takes longer in post, they are all made in China so I expect should be same.
    I wondered what other Peugeot owners use if they have one and how well they work, I think mine is CAN BUS protocol that is why Lexia needs S.1279 unit.
    Any advise appreciated as I am just trying to understand a little about these modern cars with electronics for everything as I will have to live with it a long time, I would not be doing own repairs as not fit enough these days but it will help me understand I hope instead of sending me into panic mode.

Any half decent EOBD tool will give you stored faults and pending codes too. The manufacturers have to install a certain amount of EOBD to comply with EU regs. They will not of course give you manufacturer specific codes but from what you say, you are unlikely to need them anyway.
    Personally I would pay a little bit more and buy from a UK seller as you will have some protection. If a Chinese site does not send the unit but takes your money, it will be almost impossible to get your cash back. Maybe an Ebay seller with 100% rating?