Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DeLorean returns as an electric vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    True, but neither did Rover/BL, Rootes Group, etc.
    Yes we all know about BL situation but I am not sure about Rootes Group (although please correct me) - I thought it was incorperated under Chrysler holdings who then ditched it under the 'Talbot' name to Peugeot - the last model being the Talbot Tagora ... what a monstrosity that was!

I am not sure about Rootes Group (although please correct me) - I thought it was incorperated under Chrysler holdings who then ditched it under the 'Talbot' name to Peugeot - the last model being the Talbot Tagora ... what a monstrosity that was!
    The Rootes group got a huge government handout to build the factory to build the Imp in Linwood, Paisley.

Of course I forgot about the Imp - I like the Imp, but never think of it as a 'Rootes Group' car in the same way as a Humber Hawk, Hillman Minx, Sunbeam Rapier, Hillman Hunter or (dare I say!) Chrysler 180

Quote Originally Posted by WRX._.GTi View Post
    Of course I forgot about the Imp - I like the Imp, but never think of it as a 'Rootes Group' car in the same way as a Humber Hawk, Hillman Minx, Sunbeam Rapier, Hillman Hunter or (dare I say!) Chrysler 180
    the Chrysler 180 wasn't that a bigger version of the hillman avenger, a chap i worked with had a automatic version, he also had a Fiat Strada which is another bucket of do-do

Quote Originally Posted by tommytwotanks View Post
    the Chrysler 180 wasn't that a bigger version of the hillman avenger, a chap i worked with had a automatic version, he also had a Fiat Strada which is another bucket of do-do
    Yes the Chrysler 180 (and '2-Litre' - same shape) was very much a 'stretched and massaged outline' of the Hillman Avenger - and what later became rebadged the 'Chrysler' avenger (complete with 'backlight' redesign - the original Hillman Avenger had 'L' shaped back lights but when they rebadged it the 'Chrysler' Avenger it had standard style rectangular back light cluster, due to being compatible with something else... But the best bit was the fact they stuck a 'block' of metal were the top of the original 'L' shape light had been - a cheap rehash or what!).

Also Rootes did toy with the idea (as they owned all the Names of the group, Hillman, Singer, Humber etc) of calling the Chrysler 180 the 'Humber' as in the group range Humber was always the most 'upmarket' model (This is even mentioned in the book the History of the Humber).

Rootes had quite a good 'ranking system/pecking order' for models in the 60's and 70's before using 'Chrysler name for everything:

Hillman = Standard
    Singer = Slightly more trim
    Sunbeam = Sporty
    Humber = Luxury

Of course there were deviations - it was a Hillman Hunter with a tuned up Holbay engine which won the 1968 London to Sidney Rally!