Thread: Insurer witholding settlement

Default Insurer witholding settlement

My vehicle was destroyed in a fire and my insurer is witholding payment of the agreed settlement figure as their engineer has reported that the fire was due to a manufacturer's fault. My insurer says that they will not pay me until the manufacturer has admitted liability.

I have comprehensive cover and don't see why I should wait for a 3rd-party (manufacturer) to admit liability.

Does anyone have any similar experience?

If the manufacturer admits liability your insurer will not have to pay, the manufacturer will have to pay. If the delay is too long contact the FSA, if you look at their website you should get sufficient information to get some action, if action is possible. The case here would be, it is not your problem how your insurer recovers any payout to you, it is up to the insurer to do whatever is necessary, e.g. sue the manufacturer, in the mean time they should pay you. If you read your insurance terms & conditions I think you will find that you have given them (your insurers) total control over any claims. Talk to your insurers about costs incurred due to delayed payout; you may find that you can charge for transport cost possibly a hire car until they pay out.
    Last edited by wagolynn; 05-04-12 at 14:34.

OK - thanks for the response Formula 1 Driver. Looks like I'm in for a long haul.....