Thread: Animals cause unusual car insurance claims

Default Animals cause unusual car insurance claims

A car insurance firm has found that puppies, peacocks and ponies are amongst the creatures that have caused motorists to make some unusual car insurance claims.

Peacocks take four of the top 12 unusual animal claims, either scratching at a reflection of themselves in a vehicle’s paintwork or simply attacking vehicles. Other animals that led to claims include a miniature pony that broke loose at a village fete and climbed over the bonnet of a car, mice that chewed the interior of a Lancia Delta Integrale and a front seat passenger who tried to pick up a puppy and accidentally pulled the handbrake, causing a collision.

You can read the full story by clicking here

I think I posted before that my beacons were attacked three times by owls at night. The reason given was that owls hunt by heat signature, so could have mistaken them for prey. On each occasion, damage was caused to either paintwork or plastic housing, but as AA does in-house repairs, no insurance company was involved.
    I have also seen damage to car interiors caused by mice, rats, ants, spiders and a kitten who ripped some of the wiring in the dashboard.
    On another note, anyone else remember the introduction of the Colt car? Within months there were numerous reports of them being attacked by horses.

LOL to the Colt!

Got to agree about peacocks - they are incredibly annoying birds, apart from the noise they make. I used to have to take a lot of work to our organisation's President at his stately home and he had loads of them and they would definitely attack their reflection on the car; on one glorious occasion, two of them fought over a rubbing strip on my hubby's car - that didn't go down well and I never took the Frazer Nash there - they'd have demolished the tonneau cover in no time.

Way back in the day, I used to own a bright yellow Hillman Imp, which I took the family to Loch Ness one day. We left it in a small car park and went off for picnic.

When we returned, a swarm of Bees.had taken a liking to it, and were all over the interior and exterior, thousands of them

A local bee keeper came to our rescue and smoked them out, but on the way home they kept creeping out the air vents, which terrified the kids, didn't do me much good either

When I had a sign written van, I used to stop near Walton bridge for lunch sometimes and the birds used to peck at the sign writing. some of them even got on the bonnet to peck at the writing on the bonnet.

To be honest, with the amount of signage that now seems to be cropping up, I am surprised that deer are not in the top list. I know that signs in Ashdown Forest refer to over 200 incidents last year alone. Also, I now become more aware of kamakaze pheasants in the Cambs/Beds area, and hear a lot of stories about the damage they cause on impact.
    I know a couple of years ago, I had an incident with a muntjak and couldn't believe the damage it caused. I wrote about it on another Forum, and the thread was inundated with people who had similar incidents.

Aye! the only claim Ive ever made (touch wood) on my car insurance, was way back in the 80s.

I was driving back to my work in Fife on the A9 very early in the morning 03.30, in freezing fog, I was only doing 30 Mph, and a big stag jumped off the bank beside the road, right in front of my car.

Hit is head on, and the damage to the Ford Cortina was unbelievable considering the speed I was doing, the battery ended up in the glove box?

The poor stag died instantly, which was a blessing really as I would have had a problem with killing it,as they are such wonderful beats..

My car got picked up, and driven all the way back to Inverness.