Thread: Spell Checker

Default Spell Checker

Is there a spell checker being used on the Forum. The last week or so I have noticed the red underlining as to spelling. Unfortunately, this only seems to happen when there are alternative American spellings. eg colour, tyre wants to replace with color and tire. This does not happen on any other website I use, and is certainly not relevant to my computer settings.

As far as I can see there is not. However the spell checker on my own system works in the forum, so maybe it is your computer. Colour Neighbour Yep...

Rolebama it depends on which search engine you are using, I use Firefox, which you can set to "Check your spelling while you type" Or, if you have the Google tool bar it has a spell checker on it, as an add-on,

Or, if you type your posts out while using Word, then copy and paste it onto the forum page, as Word has a spell checker already on it. It will underline any spelling mistakes as you type, or you can do a "Grammar and Spell Check" of the page when you are finished, (it shows as a small "abc" up on the Menu bar)

Cheers for that, Smudger. I installed the latest Firefox update recently, and it did turn the spell-checker on. (I had turned it off on all previous versions because of the Americanization.)

Rolebama, if you click on Tools at the top of the page, then click on Check Spellings, then Preferences, you get the option to use English G.B, then click on Save.

To activate spell check in the first place, click on Tools, then Options, from the drop down menu, go over to the far right, and click on the Advanced Tab, there you will see the box with" Check my Spelling as I type" click the box,..........job done

Smudger, I spent an entertaining half hour yesterday re-setting all my Preferences and Options because V15.0.1 update had reset them all to default. No sooner had I done this than V16.0.1 appeared. This install had left my newly set Preferences and Options as I had set them. Maybe just a glitch in the last version, which is why the new one had been issued so quickly?

I use a free program called 'Mozbackup' to back up all the Firefox settings and data.

I've never heard of that before MrDanno.

Rolebama, I've never had to reset my preferences after a Firefox update, maybe there all at default,

I'm trying out Chrome just now, getting used to it........slowly.