Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Really Get Rid of Uninsured Cars

Default How to Really Get Rid of Uninsured Cars

Been thinking about this for a while, and don't see why it shouldn't work.
    TV Licence Detector vans are given a list of addresses which do not have Licences, and just go and check them out. The DVLA have a list of all registered cars, and there is a database of Insured cars. All that needs to happen is for the Police to attend those who have a registered car with no entry on the MID, and ask to be shown the car.
    To me, this would be the obvious way of getting rid of uninsured cars, if this was the genuine intention. The fact they use unmarked cars to catch the odd one or two does not show a determined effort at clearing the roads, just a way of collecting income.
    A further thought on this is that a whole new Department could come into being, enabling Govt to employ another few thousand thus reducing the unemployment register.

I thought we were about to do this with the advent of SORN for insurance as well as TAX? Yet again it is a system that will be a pain in the proverbial to genuine people who may not use their cars for 6 months of the year, While the people it is targeted at catching will not be caught out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Been thinking about this for a while, and don't see why it shouldn't work.
    TV Licence Detector vans are given a list of addresses which do not have Licences, and just go and check them out. The DVLA have a list of all registered cars, and there is a database of Insured cars. All that needs to happen is for the Police to attend those who have a registered car with no entry on the MID, and ask to be shown the car.
    In an ideal world it may work but you idea in reality is rubbish and flawed in so many ways.

For example.How many police officers go on duty in your town.
    Lets say each shift there are 100.
    Some will be in court to give evidence.
    Some will be out collecting people for court etc.
    Then there will be calls to respond too,my house has been broken into,there is a fight,etc etc.
    Before you know it the resources are used up.
    Then there is a rtc and units are needed.
    Then people that have been arrested are taken to the station and they have to write reports etc which ties them up.

Now your idea is that an officer is given an address and drives over to see a car. Having taken an hour to get there they knock on the door.Yes I have that car its at my mates house being fixed (is the response) let me show you, it should only take us an hour to get there.

I very much doubt the police could spend hours and hours traveling to houses to find the car not there or the owners not in. Especially not when higher priority incidents are occurring.

I don't agree that the police are completely devoid of manpower to make some inroads as Rolebama suggests. There are times outside peak hours when the police do have some time available. They use early morning hours to raid drug dens; why treat illegel drivers to social hours?
    A couple of weeks ago, there was a domestic disturbance in our road in the early hours; one of their family member's from another address descending on the house screaming and threatening violence.
    How many police turned up? Five patrol cars and a police van!!! The road was like the London Eye on New Year's Eve!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    They use early morning hours to raid drug dens; why treat illegel drivers to social hours?
    Perhaps rubbish was to strong a word.
    The thing is that with drug dens etc there is usually some information to say they will find the drugs there.

All I was thinking was that with cars its going to be a lot harder to find the car or the person at the house.
    Also the offence has not been committed if the car is kept on a drive as they are not driving it,keeping it on the road.
    If the car has been declared sorn in relation to the tax then no other issues have been created either.So legally you could have a car at your house uninsured.

The only way to deal with these cars therefore is to catch and stop them when being drove.

Loony, did you read the last line of my post? It would not necessarily have to be the Police. In the same way as Parking Wardens now operate, and PCSOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Loony, did you read the last line of my post? It would not necessarily have to be the Police. In the same way as Parking Wardens now operate, and PCSOs.
    So we set up a whole new team.They will need to be trained,given a uniform and understand some laws.Then we need to give them enforcement powers to issue fines and to remove owners goods ie their cars.

Then when the owner kicks off they will call the erm oh police.

The dvla currently deal with an uninsured but taxed car by the following

If a vehicle does not have insurance, the registered keeper could:
    •receive a fixed penalty of 100
    •have their vehicle wheel-clamped, impounded, or destroyed
    •face a court prosecution, with a possible maximum fine of 1000

The trouble is, they do not deal with them, or there would not be so many still on the road. A vehicle declared under the SORN regulations is no guarantee against it being used on the road. With the number of illegal vehicles on our roads now reported to be well over one million, sooner or later the police and government will have to come up with a sure method of getting rid of the problem, and prevent another illegal vehicle cropping up as each one is eradicated. Legitimate drivers are already getting annoyed at the rising costs of insurance, some of it due to costs caused by the illegal element, and eventually drivers and the insurers will align to press the matter off the back-burner and into a situation of urgency.
    I am fed up with paying towards these costs ad I want the illegal drivers and vehicles off the roads permanently; as many as possible and as soon as possible. And I feel confident that I am in the majority on this.

Snowball View
    I am fed up with paying towards these costs and I want the illegal drivers and vehicles off the roads permanently; as many as possible and as soon as possible. And I feel confident that I am in the majority on this.
    YOU ARE in the majority on this!

I know we disagree on what vehicle we should own etc. However I totally agree with everything you say - whilst I may drive Classic and/or Modified/custom cars I quite simply do NOT want somebody running into one of my 'pride & joys' who is uninsured and thus have to rebuild my vehicle at my own expense etc.
    People who drive around knowingly uninsured are total SCUM!

Quote Originally Posted by WRX._.GTi View Post
    YOU ARE in the majority on this!

I know we disagree on what vehicle we should own etc. However I totally agree with everything you say - whilst I may drive Classic and/or Modified/custom cars I quite simply do NOT want somebody running into one of my 'pride & joys' who is uninsured and thus have to rebuild my vehicle at my own expense etc.
    People who drive around knowingly uninsured are total SCUM!
    Freedom of choice, which is as it should be; same as what clothes we wear, what food we like, and so on. Within the law, and consideration for others, I am quite comfortable with anyone's choise of how they spend their cash and run their lives, and it shouldn't be any other way, should it?