Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LPG bottled gas.

Default LPG bottled gas.

Being caravanners, we buy and use bottled propane gas. A few years ago we changed from Calor to BP, who supply the gas in lighter bottles that allow the level to be seen through the bottle casing. During the past year or so, we have visited caravan accessory shops for an exchange refill, only to be told that they no longer sell the BP product, because Calor will withdraw their (the suppliers') contract unless thet refrain from selling BP. This has now happened to us personally at three outlets. I thought this practice was illegal. I strongly object to one company taking action that eventually denies me from buying from another.
    Next week I intend to press the matter with Trading standards, and have already emailled BP for their reaction to the situation.

Are the BP bottles plastic then Snowball?

I found the answer, they are glass fibre bottles.

Sounds like a job for the old Monopolies Commission. Although I doubt if they exist anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    I found the answer, they are glass fibre bottles.
    That's right. Kind of plastic body with cutouts, and the inner body semi-transparent fibreglass.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Sounds like a job for the old Monopolies Commission. Although I doubt if they exist anymore.
    It looks as if BP intend to plod on until 2013, then either sell as a going concern or wrap it up.
    I am considering the similar, lightweight refillable bottles. Lots of garages are getting more relaxed now that they are happy with the safety fittings. Gas comes quite a bit cheaper, but initial outlay is at least 150 for one bottle, which holds about 11kg of gas (propane).

I think I would rather have a metal bottle in case of fire.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    I think I would rather have a metal bottle in case of fire.
    Debatable wagolynn. But I think the risk of a steel bottle exploding with shrapnel-like qualities may make the fibreglass and plastic-reinforced shell safer. Many vehicle fuel tanks have gone away from steel haven't they?

I saw a TV program that was comparing new carbon fiber materials against metal, and the results were amazing for the carbon fiber. Its also a lot lighter then metal which is a great advantage for vehicles,

(the fact that our wee car is made of carbon fiber, had no bearing on the matter)

The plastic they make petrol tanks from has a tendency to 'dent' rather like metal in the event of a collision, it is also easier to mould into different shapes for fuel tanks, which is why some fuel gauges tend to change speed as fuel is used.
    As to carbon fibre, I use it in the manufacture of my model aeroplanes, and although it is relatively stronger and lighter than some metals, it is not as forgiving in a collision.

Metal bottles, as far as I know have a safety device to relieve excess pressure, in a fire the gas burns at the vent. The resin system used with glass fibre has a limited fire resistance; I am not sure dumping all the gas in one go would be very nice. My experience with LPG is from an industrial perspective.