Thread: Motor trade car insurance needed

Cool Motor trade car insurance needed

Hey guys !! Is there anybody that can help ??

I am currently 23 years old, i have been trying to get motor trade insurance with my dad and brothers who all have cover, i am having problems finding companies who will add me as a additional driver. I started looking when i was 21 and now i cannot wait any longer and am still getting companies refusing to cover me as a additional driver.

Have had my license for 6 years now and its clean.

Any suggestions would be appreciated ..

Thanks

Is there a minimum age to be able to get motor trade insurance? Have you got your own insurance for a car?

I'm not sure how it works but you might be able to transfer that over, just a thought.

Ive been reading up and most companies say 25 years minimum.. i dont have my own insurance, just need cover with my dad for motor trade use.

thought id post and see if theres anyone in my position who overcame this ?

thanks

Ah! I had an idea that there would be an age limit thing, looks like you will have to wait a couple of years, good luck.

did a quick google and found this "motortradersbible"

Who can have Motor Trader Insurance?

Motor Trader insurance is, like the name hints at, for people connected with the Motor Trade. This covers:

- New / Pre Owned Car Sales
    - Garage Chain
    - Independent with premises
    - Independent without premises (i.e. from home)
    - Full time
    - Part time

- Static/ Tied Mechanics (working within premises)
    - Mobile Mechanics (Own van, which can be covered under some policies)
    - Vehicle Delivery (individual vehicles i.e. non transporter)

Some policies will also cover the following roles but you will need to check with your insurance broker on what you are covered for:

- full /part time Car Valet with premises
    - full / part time mobile car valet

It provides them insurance to drive either their customers’ cars or cars they are dealing. Consideration needs to be given to whether you are taking your customers’ cars home. If you do you will need to ensure that you have requested this.

If you are driving around in customers’ cars it is assumed that you are doing this as road testing, which means that you are unlikely to be road testing a vehicle after 11pm at night and before 7am.

It is not designed for individuals who are struggling with getting insurance cover for higher performance cars. In the past this has been used for this type of cover and as such Insurance companies have become wise to this. As a result will check to see what vehicles have been bought and sold throughout the life of the policy. Policy holders who fail to provide sufficient evidence can have their policy cancelled.

To qualify for Motor Trader Insurance, it is also important that you have had a Full UK or European driving licence for a minimum of 12 months. As a result it is not possible to have motor trader insurance under 18 years old. Typically the minimum age is 19 because of the 12 month rule.

Further restrictions are often applied for under 25 years old. This will be performance related, limiting the engine size based on age, with under 21s struggling to get above 2 ltr petrol, no turbos etc. For under 25s restrictions will not be covered for driving petrol turbo powered vehicles, high performance like Subaru or MR2s or any super charged cars. It is critical that you check with your insurance broker what you are covered to drive.

It is not uncommon for joint policies to be set up, where the policy will cover multiple drivers, again, age restrictions will apply where applicable.