Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jade's let me down!

Default Jade's let me down!

Okay, new to me car, who has been christened Jade, Wagolynn, suddenly decided to die on me Sat. morning. Managed to push her out the way (knacked calf muscle in process). I had low oil, engine management lights come on. Had hit a pothole - unavoidable - right across road - so wondered if something had come adrift. Belt was okay, all fuses okay, plenty of oil, so called RAC. Was not awfully impressed with the gentleman I spoke to though the response was rapid as he seemed (after twigging I meant Salen, Argyll & Bute, not Salen, Highland) not to be able to locate 500 yards south of junction with B road on A848! Eventually got it sorted and got call from RAC agent who said 1.5 hours. Not a problem - I know where he's based and that's a reasonable time schedule. After lot of texting to son, hobbled to the shop 300 yards away, did shopping and got some lunch and then sat in car watching the red deer hinds on side of road opposite me. After 1.25 hours, got call saying sorry, he'd had to shift a car off the road and had picked up two foreign ladies who'd hit a pothole and ripped one of their tyres - no spare. About half an hour later, Alastair appears and repeats checks - no obvious reason. Jade started and we proceeded at slow speed back to Tob (lassies were staying there). Only one guy in the garage, so Jade booked in for a diagnostic check tomorrow morning. No tyre available for the girls' vehicle on island but Alastair spent a good hour phoning around and onto mainland to find one; he did and the girls had to catch 11am ferry yesterday so sorted taxi out for them and rang Calmac for them to cancel their Monday ferry booking - their English was excellent but they were a bit stressed out, to say the least. Can't blame them.

I'm hoping that it's not a very expensive sensor that's gone wrong - any ideas?

PS I'm thinking it might not be a good idea to call her Jade, though it fits(!), Wagolynn; imagine what might be construed if I mentioned about her needing a service

Point taken about the service, as to her ailments I am sure Hometune, MrDanno etc. will have a better idea than old wagolynn. I am confident you and the RAC man would have covered the basics, (as far as I go) beyond that a good knowledge of the systems on the car is required. On the bright side, she did get the garage under her own power. I hope the leg gets better quickly, I could offer to help treat it, but it would get misconstrued, we find Movelat gel very good, it can be purchased or had on prescription.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    Point taken about the service, as to her ailments I am sure Hometune, MrDanno etc. will have a better idea than old wagolynn. I am confident you and the RAC man would have covered the basics, (as far as I go) beyond that a good knowledge of the systems on the car is required. On the bright side, she did get the garage under her own power. I hope the leg gets better quickly, I could offer to help treat it, but it would get misconstrued, we find Movelat gel very good, it can be purchased or had on prescription.
    Good luck.
    We are going to get told off, Wagolynn!! Have borrowed some of Mum's Movelat and helping a lot - just fed up coz wanted to work out how to get new tent erected with it being dry - always look a BF if you've not attempted it at least once!

Will post when diagnostics check down.

Hey! FJ, that italic print you are using is very hard for us Olduns to read,

Not that much younger than you, matey! Will try to remember to refrain from itatics!!

Bless, FJ

Ah! cheers FJ, much appreciated, I am just at the stage where I need my specs to see small print, but not quite needed all the time

PS. (the optician says that my eyes are in good shape, considering that I was a welder for many years)
    Last edited by smudger; 26-03-12 at 22:09. Reason: Spelling?

Quote Originally Posted by ficklejade View Post
    We are going to get told off, Wagolynn!! Have borrowed some of Mum's Movelat and helping a lot - just fed up coz wanted to work out how to get new tent erected with it being dry - always look a BF if you've not attempted it at least once!

Will post when diagnostics check down.
    I think I recall a problem with connectors under the driving seat on your late vehicle.

Airflow meter apparently! Do I cancel all my weekends away because of cost?

Leg almost back to normal, thanks. .
    Last edited by ficklejade; 27-03-12 at 17:31. Reason: Missed a bit off!

Quote Originally Posted by ficklejade View Post
    Airflow meter apparently! Do I cancel all my weekends away because of cost? .
    I would be very wary of that diagnosis FJ. If the car runs okay then I would want another opinion as an airflow meter would not behave as you suggest. When an engine cuts out due to a problem elsewhere, e.g. you stall it at a junction, then the back pressure in the manifold fools the airflow meter and a code is logged. If the EGR valve is stuck this too can cause incorrect readings from the airflow meter. So any outside cause of stalling or airflow can cause the airflow sensor to be a suspect.
    Usually when you disconnect a faulty airflow meter the car will run better. But, the garage should be able to see what the live data is telling them, the EGR valve etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    I would be very wary of that diagnosis FJ. If the car runs okay then I would want another opinion as an airflow meter would not behave as you suggest. When an engine cuts out due to a problem elsewhere, e.g. you stall it at a junction, then the back pressure in the manifold fools the airflow meter and a code is logged. If the EGR valve is stuck this too can cause incorrect readings from the airflow meter. So any outside cause of stalling or airflow can cause the airflow sensor to be a suspect.
    Usually when you disconnect a faulty airflow meter the car will run better. But, the garage should be able to see what the live data is telling them, the EGR valve etc etc.
    Thanks, Hometune, Okay, how do I tactfully ask right questions tomorrow am and what precisely should I be asking, please? You already know can't cope with techie computer stuff.