Thread: Hit in Rear at Traffic lights While stationary

Default Hit in Rear at Traffic lights While stationary

Hi,hope somebody can help me,bought a Car with 22000,miles on the clock just a month ago and insurance cost 800 plus had it repaired and a new Mot,Last Week while sitting at traffic lights a large 4X4 with bull bars hit rear of my car causing quite a bit of damage at the rear,left lights smashed whole rear door and bumper taken in,I was covered for third party fire and theft.The third party admitted liability and I also had a independent witness,I contacted my insurance company who put me through to the claim agents,who would act on my behalf,since I had legal cover with my Insurance comp,The claim agents set an appointment to take my car to an approved garage yesterday,I took the car in to the garage where the car was photographed,Today while I was out my wife received a phone call stating,it has been decided to write the car off and they were willing to pay 960,and we could keep the car as well.
    What I don,t understand is,since the car is perfectly driveable and only the rear needs repaired why is it being written off,secondly I expected the car to be repaired since the third party was at fault and admitted liability,and if I was to accept an offer from my so called claim agents,and got the car repaired privately would the write off offer from the third party affect my own insurance on the car.thank you for any help:

The damage you can see probably extends much further than you realise. If there is chassis damage this will be very costly to repair. Look up What Car Free valuations and get the cost of buying your car today. Tell the agents that your car is worth X amount and that is what you want. They will try and get you down so NEVER accept their initial offers. You can also contact your insurance company regardless and tell them you are not happy.
    If you choose you can keep the car if you wish, take the 960 and use this to pay for the damage if you can find someone who can repair it properly for this amount. However, looking at what you list as damaged, I find it very hard to believe you could repair it with new parts for this amount. Even if you did go this route, the car would be on the register so very much reduced in value.

Hello.thank you for your answer,one thing I don,t understand is Third Party is at fault,I want my car repaired to the way it was before the accident,I thought the agents were acting for me not the third party.If the car was written off and I got the car repaired What will my insurance status be.

I am not an expert but I believe that would come under a Category "C" which means the cost of the repair, at tradesman rates, is more than the value of the car, good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by raja8457 View Post
    Hello.thank you for your answer,one thing I don,t understand is Third Party is at fault,I want my car repaired to the way it was before the accident,I thought the agents were acting for me not the third party.If the car was written off and I got the car repaired What will my insurance status be.
    The principle is that you should not be worse off as a result of the third party's actions.

The insurer's view will be that by paying you x (the value of the car), you are in the same position as before, whereas if they repair the car it will cost them more and you will actually end up better off (at least part of your car will now be in better condition than before the collision).

You are unlikely to win that argument, but as said above you should refuse their initial offer and hold out for more.

raja8457, you mentioned you had legal cover. This is nothing to do with your insurance and your insurers do not use it on your behalf. You have to choose to use legal cover. I think you may have not read your insurance terms and conditions, if you had you would find how they settle any claim is your insurers choice. As already mentioned you can check that the price offered is close to the cost of replacing it and bargain with your insurers. I would not get involved in having the car repaired without first getting a quote for repairs. Most cars these days have a crumple zone at the front and rear, designed to collapse in a controlled way to absorb some of the energy from a crash, these helps to save the occupants of the car from injury.
    Last edited by wagolynn; 08-09-12 at 16:55.