Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Driving Test Tips!

Quote...."I was given that advice before my test, in 1967. It was wrong then, and remains so. The examiner is perfectly capable of watching your eyes."

Well, maybe....but when I did my IAM test the examiner sat with his back to the door, in a turned position, and he couldn't see my eyes 100% of the time. I used that very same tip, and moved the mirror to a position when I had to move my head to see.

It worked, ....mind you it was 2 hour test, and the only time he moved position, was to open the door to check that I wasn't more than 6" away from the curb, while doing that long reverse around a corner?

Try to have a good nights sleep,before the test,have a good breakfast,dont panic,and listen to exactly what the examiner tells you,keep checking your rear mirror cant do any harm,and watch your speed.

My tip is - don't take your test until you are ready. This means that you can, virtually faultlessly, spend an hour on the road and carry out the require maneuvers.

Listen to the Instructor but apart from listening to his instructions drive like you are on your own, dont let him make you nervous,

And if you dont pass first time dont worry, Stirling Moss failed his first test too !

Quote Originally Posted by John Pether View Post
    And if you dont pass first time dont worry, Stirling Moss failed his first test too !
    That name will mean a lot to the average 17-year old ....

half of them cannot remember their own name never mind about Stirling Moss,

Quote Originally Posted by janebar68 View Post
    How to Pass Your Test First Time.......

Easy peasy ........ clip the kerb and stall the car when first leaving the test centre, you think you've failed anyway so it calms your nerves lol!! That's what happened to me and I passed !!!!
    I know the feeling. Within thirty seconds of my ADI2 (Driving Instructor's Advanced Test), the examiner asked me to left reverse into a side road which I had practiced on so many times I had lost count. Three guesses what happened next!

Fortunately I remembered some great advice my trainer gave me: as long as it is not too serious, of course, if you make a mistake, then LAUGH about it! The examiner is only human, and he will be far more disposed to passing you if he can see you are confident enough to do something silly without worrying about it.

On this occasion it worked a treat and he passed me with just three minor marks. The bump on the kerb he just put down to nerves, and we both enjoyed the friendly banter which followed.

my tip is to keep calm and book a early morning test to get it over and done with

The only way to be calm on the day is to put in lots and lots of practise. Preferably with someone familiar with current driving techniques. The test is to ensure you are safe on the road so if you spend a lot of time worrying about what gear you are in rather than assessing risks as you drive you will fail. Driving is all about being in the safest position on the road and assessing potential danger. This needs experience and good control of the car so that you can control the car automatically. The examiner wants to pass you so show them you are safe.

I passed on my fifth time, and I think the best hint I can possibly give to anyone looking to pass their driving test is just to keep going.

I think many people can get very discouraged if they fail a couple of times, particularly if they feel a little aggrievevd over the reasons given for failing. So just keep going, and try and relax a as much as you can on the test itself. Just tell yourself that you will pass in the end, and do everything the way that you know you can.

Good luck!