Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Driving Test Tips!

Pretend you are the driving instructor, teaching the examiner how to drive (without speaking of course). It worked for me.
    Also, be patient it anything happens that you weren't expecting. I had a skip-truck trying to reverse into a small driveway for about 5 minutes. I just waited and made sure it was safe to continue.

As an instructor, I would say

1. Don't tell your friends/relatives about your test - it just adds to the pressure when they keep phoning and texting with good luck messages

2. Don't tell your friends/relatives about your test - anyone who has passed the test, even if it's 100 years ago, is an "expert", and will give you all sorts of dodgy advice.

3. Take anything you read on this thread (or any other internet forum) with a large pinch of salt.

the best way to pass your driving test ................................................ have an early night,get up early the following morning and drink plenty of water as its good for the brain. don,t try not been nervous (your only human) turn the nerves instead into positive energy,for instance telling yourself the examiner is only human as well.also you have as much right to be on the road as anyone else.
    Finally, dont get hung up on trying to learn the whole highway code on the morning of your test. During the test there are just FOUR things you need to look at like there going out of fashion 1) the roads 2) other road users 3) Pedestrians 4) YOUR MIRRORS !!!

Clarkeit, you had better add, go to the toilet...

clip kerb & stall you are joking yes? that would have the opposite effect would make you even more nervous!(ridiculous!)
    take regular lessons with the same instructor as different instructors have different methods & tips,STAY WITH SAME 1.
    get as much on road practice with family & friends,the more the better as you'll gradually get more & more confident on roads,go out in busy traffic not just when roads are quiet,have a positive attitude,keep telling yourself "i am a competent driver!"/1/2 the battles in the mind BE POSITIVE!
    tips for test day,have an early night,don't sit up thinking about what ifs,AS YOU WONT GET A WINK OF SLEEP & YOU WANT TO BE REFRESHED FOR YOUR TEST DAY!
    good breakfast or lunch then just go through in your head what you need to do,try not too let it take over every second of your mind,but if you cant help it then "feel confident!",you put all those hours of practice in for this day,you are ready! KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THIS!
    when using a instructor then do not do what he says on your pre-drive before your test,if you are having worries about certain maneuvers then tell him/her i want to practice my reverse parking,3 point turns etc do not need to just go with what they tell you,mind your paying for it!
    an hour or so before your pre-drive go over your show & tell questions & answers so there fresh in your memory.
    test arrives,deep breathes,be confident(YOU CAN DO THIS,EASILY!),once you answer,correctly,your show & tell then change mind set to concentration mode,not worried mode,mind your going to do stuff you've done hundreds of times before so nothing new. CONCENTRATE & CONFIDENCE they go hand in hand. keep to speed limits,don't go too slow,approach junctions at an easy pace again not too slow but not too fast,look in mirrors every 5-7 seconds & let the tester see you moving your head do not just move your eyes,keep checking your blind spots,YEH THIS IS EASY EH! ,don't think ahead about what maneuver I'm going to do its going to be something you've done hundreds of times before.JUST KEEP CONCENTRATING ON WHAT YOUR DOING NOW!
    PRACTICE,CONCENTRATION & CONFIDENCE=CONGRATULATIONS YOU'VE PASSED!

All the very best!
    Last edited by motorheed; 23-03-12 at 10:22.

Take a few lessons with a professional even if you continue with a friend/relative. Hope to get someone who does not talk a lot - concentration is all! Allow a time to get enough practical and theoretical knowledge. Watch what other drivers do - from the safety of a pavement. Learn from their experience. Above all remember that however long it takes you to pass it is a short time to learn enough to cope with todays very busy roads. Learn to control speed especially on quiet roads where the 'clues' you get in towns may be absent.
    Enjoy. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by motorheed View Post
    clip kerb & stall you are joking yes? that would have the opposite effect would make you even more nervous!(ridiculous!)
    take regular lessons with the same instructor as different instructors have different methods & tips,STAY WITH SAME 1.
    get as much on road practice with family & friends,the more the better as you'll gradually get more & more confident on roads,go out in busy traffic not just when roads are quiet,have a positive attitude,keep telling yourself "i am a competent driver!"/1/2 the battles in the mind BE POSITIVE!
    tips for test day,have an early night,don't sit up thinking about what ifs,AS YOU WONT GET A WINK OF SLEEP & YOU WANT TO BE REFRESHED FOR YOUR TEST DAY!
    good breakfast or lunch then just go through in your head what you need to do,try not too let it take over every second of your mind,but if you cant help it then "feel confident!",you put all those hours of practice in for this day,you are ready! KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THIS!
    when using a instructor then do not do what he says on your pre-drive before your test,if you are having worries about certain maneuvers then tell him/her i want to practice my reverse parking,3 point turns etc do not need to just go with what they tell you,mind your paying for it!
    an hour or so before your pre-drive go over your show & tell questions & answers so there fresh in your memory.
    test arrives,deep breathes,be confident(YOU CAN DO THIS,EASILY!),once you answer,correctly,your show & tell then change mind set to concentration mode,not worried mode,mind your going to do stuff you've done hundreds of times before so nothing new. CONCENTRATE & CONFIDENCE they go hand in hand. keep to speed limits,don't go too slow,approach junctions at an easy pace again not too slow but not too fast,look in mirrors every 5-7 seconds & let the tester see you moving your head do not just move your eyes,keep checking your blind spots,YEH THIS IS EASY EH! ,don't think ahead about what maneuver I'm going to do its going to be something you've done hundreds of times before.JUST KEEP CONCENTRATING ON WHAT YOUR DOING NOW!
    PRACTICE,CONCENTRATION & CONFIDENCE=CONGRATULATIONS YOU'VE PASSED!

All the very best!
    and how many tests did you have, and how long have you been driving, things back in the sixties were a lot different to what they are now.

I believe there are two categories of driving test nerves. One being a general nervousness relevant to testing by a complete stranger, and the other being nervous of failing the test. To me, being nervous of failing just means you are not ready, and should have more instruction. Being nervous of being tested by a stranger is not so easily overcome, but can be eased by having mock tests from your instructor. There is a thread here about over 50% failure ratings, this, to me, shows that too many people take the test who just aren't ready for solo driving.
    On a different note, we have people asking questions here which they should be realistically asking their instructors. If you are unsure about anything, check with your instructor, if you feel you cannot talk to them, maybe it's time to change instructors.

Quote Originally Posted by motorheed View Post
    let the tester see you moving your head do not just move your eyes,
    I was given that advice before my test, in 1967. It was wrong then, and remains so. The examiner is perfectly capable of watching your eyes.

My Tip - Take your tests as early as possible, that way you don't spend the day worrying about failing.