Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 73

Thread: Your Driving Test Tips!

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    180

    Default

    very true jennysmith,
    I also think they should bring back hand signals as you never know when the indicators will pack up,
    don't be in a hurry you have all the rest of your life in front of you and you NEVER stop learning, just because you pass a driving test does not mean you are an expert,
    even when i was pulling 200 tonnes about i was always learning something new or a safer way to do things.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,285

    Default

    I see that Rick won the prize.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Hi,
    Yes i did and very nice too.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1

    Default Travolta

    Yes, it's great service!

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    52

    Thumbs up

    I am aware the prize has been claimed - I have been involved in the driving instructor trade in the past (which you will see by some of the posts I have set out advising about choosing a driving instructor and what to expect in a lesson), so I will add my advice as to how to pass a test.

    I would first of all ensure you have been tutored corrected by a ADI/PDI then have some additional practice. There are far to many candidates who have lessons from a "friend", sit there test and result in 25 minor, 7 serious and 4 dangerous faults.

    Make sure you are happy with the car. If you have learnt to drive in a Mondeo estate then sit the test in a Mini, you may find the difference offputting. This has happened in the past and consistency is key.

    Break down the road course into logic and reason, and don't drive on your emotions.

    If you don't like the look of the test centre/examiner, you can (at the time of writing) book where you want to take your test.

    Go in with the view you are going to drive well and don't think "you can get away with so many minor faults", otherwise you may start making faults and one could then be serious.

    So, if you are taking a test soon, consider these points and all the best of luck.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    10,852

    Default

    A lot of driving schools teach their students on how to pass the driving test these days, rather than, teaching them how to drive?

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderno View Post

    If you don't like the look of the test centre/examiner, you can (at the time of writing) book where you want to take your test.
    You can't choose an examiner though

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    10,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick45 View Post
    ........I also think they should bring back hand signals as you never know when the indicators will pack up...............
    Hand signals are still shown in the Highway Code. When I was taught to drive, it was normal for the driving door window to remain in the OPEN position for the duration of the lesson, as well as for the test itself, and for the pupil to use hand signals.
    After a lesson on a rainy day, it was common to finish the lesson with one's right sleeve and part of the jacket soaked with rain.
    And I still could use them today if it were necessary. Question is, would many (if any) of today's young drivers know what the heck I was doing?

    Signals 103 - 106
    Rule 103 (see signals to other road users).

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Hand signals are still shown in the Highway Code. When I was taught to drive, it was normal for the driving door window to remain in the OPEN position for the duration of the lesson, as well as for the test itself, and for the pupil to use hand signals.
    After a lesson on a rainy day, it was common to finish the lesson with one's right sleeve and part of the jacket soaked with rain.
    And I still could use them today if it were necessary. Question is, would many (if any) of today's young drivers know what the heck I was doing?

    Signals 103 - 106
    Rule 103 (see signals to other road users).
    Quite right, Snowball. Learners have to know them for their theory test, and all good instructors will also cover the subject. Whether they'd remember them if needed is another question. Although you're not required to use them on test (unless you use a vehicle without indicators), you are expected to recognise them if another driver uses them. That does happen occasionally!

    Anyway, it would be interesting to know how Rick 45 suggests "they" could "bring them back", short of making indicators illegal.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    10,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    ..............Anyway, it would be interesting to know how Rick 45 suggests "they" could "bring them back", short of making indicators illegal.
    It would certainly disrupt the efficiency of air conditioning in the modern car, and specialist clothing manufacturers might see an increase in sales for weatherproof wear.
    And if, in their wisdom, the EU Commissioners decided to regulate it EU wide, the front passenger riding in a UK car on the continent could find he/she had a little extra work to do. And vice versa, of course. Or would some entrepreneur come up with a false arm for the driver to wave out of the passenger-side window? EEK!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow RAC:

Sales enquiries:

0330 159 1111

03 numbers are charged at national call rates and included in inclusive minute plans from landlines and mobiles. Calls may be monitored and/or recorded

Website Security Test