Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Driving Test Tips!

Hybrid View

Default Your Driving Test Tips!

This month we’d like to hear your tips for passing the UK Driving Test.

What should you do to prepare? What are your do’s and don’ts for the big day? And how can you calm those pre-test nerves?

Seen a useful tip and want to add more? Or disagree with someone else’s tip? Let us know here too!

Everyone who posts a tip for helping pass the UK Driving Test will be entered into a prize draw to win a TomTom Start Classic Sat Nav System. The competition will run close at midnight on 30th April. You can see the Sat Nav by clicking here

You can read the full T & C’s here

WINNER UPDATE: Congratulations to rick45 who won the Sat Nav System!
    Last edited by Owen; 09-05-12 at 17:50.

I passed last year on my 4th attempt over a period of 10 years stopping & starting lessons.

My advice would be to not do what I did, stick with your lessons, ensuring you have enough funds to keep on going until you are test ready.

Practice is the key, when I upped my lessons to 2 per week the improvement was significant & my confidence was far higher.

On the day I passed I felt pretty calm as I knew I was ready, nothing else would have the same effect.

top tip keep as calm as possible its the nerves that ruins alot of hopes of passing

Default my tips for taking the uk driving test,

my tips for passing the uk driving test are...
    first relax and think positive,
    listen to the inspectors directions and if you dont understand something then tell the inspector
    re-assure yourself that its not the end of the world if you dont pass on your first test, many people dont, i passsed 2nd time around,
    do not put yourself in for a test if you or your instructor thinks your not ready, all though it is good to have a test at some point just so you know exactly what to expect.
    summary keep calm relax and think positive , if you dont understand something then say, also if you make a mistake say oh this is what i should have done as it shows that it was only a mistake and that you know what you needed to do ,
    may i wish all the learner drivers every success but please remeber its not the end if you fail . theres alwas another attempt so dont be to upset you will pass at some point.

I rode a motorbike (without needing to take a test) from the time I was 16 - in 1963 - until I was 19 and then took up car driving and passed my test at the fifth attempt after ten months of lessons and practice. Since then, I've been a driving instructor, taught defensive driving to Company car users, passed the PCV test and been judged the Institute of Advanced Motorists' "Driver of the Year" twice in this region. My tip is the same as several others - practise under the guidance of a qualified instructor until you feel confident enough to drive without any directions. The test ought not to be daunting if you've learned enough to concentrate on what's happening outside the car rather than thinking what to do with your hands and feet - that has to be second nature by the time you're judged fit to drive on your own.

i passed my test in 1962 in a 1934 morris 8 when hand signals were compulsary as well as using the semaphor indicators and you had to do the FULL test not like nowadays when you can choose what things you want to do on your test,
    first keep calm it is only a test, second don't drive about thinking "who is watching me", third you must study the highway code and learn and remember the braking distances, fourth watch your speed when on your test as going over the speed limit will earn you a fail, fifth when you get in your car to take your test DON'T forget to check and adjust your mirrors,seat, etc this your examiner will watch for, sixth take your time you are not in a race, make plenty of use of your mirrors and indicators,
    and watch out for bikes and other road users and pedestrians ( not all of them have perfect eyesight and hearing ).
    there is just one last thing, i have worked through my life on heavy goods ( upto 200 tonnes ) fifty years now, AND I AM STILL LEARNING,
    drive carefully and good luck.

Be guided by your instructor as to when you are ready for your test. You are not ready becuase you have passed your theory, your parents say so, you have had the same number of lessons as your best friend or even because you think you are. It will save you money in the long run by not having wasted tests, the hire of the tuition vehicle for your test and the lesson beofre your test. Get as much private practise as possible so long as it's complimented by professional tuition. There's no substitute for hours behind the wheel allowing you to encounter as many traffic situations as possible allowing you to develop your planning and awareness skills. Nerves on the test day are not a bad thing. It will keep you alert. Anyone who doesn't have any nerves is complacent and an accident waiting to happen.

As an instructor, I would say

1. Don't tell your friends/relatives about your test - it just adds to the pressure when they keep phoning and texting with good luck messages

2. Don't tell your friends/relatives about your test - anyone who has passed the test, even if it's 100 years ago, is an "expert", and will give you all sorts of dodgy advice.

3. Take anything you read on this thread (or any other internet forum) with a large pinch of salt.

Listen to the Instructor but apart from listening to his instructions drive like you are on your own, dont let him make you nervous,

And if you dont pass first time dont worry, Stirling Moss failed his first test too !

Quote Originally Posted by John Pether View Post
    And if you dont pass first time dont worry, Stirling Moss failed his first test too !
    That name will mean a lot to the average 17-year old ....