Thread: Competition: Scenic winter drives

Default Competition: Scenic winter drives

This month on the forum we’d like to hear about your recommendations for scenic winter drives.

Which parts of the country or routes do you recommend as the most beautiful to drive through?

Leave your scenic winter drive tip and you can be in with a chance of winning one of five ‘Roads With a View’ book

You can read the T & C’s here.

Just past J10 on the A1(M) there is a water tower. From the junction, follow the lanes through Potton, Gamlingay, Waresley and on to ST Neots. Fantastic winter views with the bonus of a variety of birds of prey. Kestrels, Goshawks, Sparrowhawks, Falcons, etc all living naturally.
    Also possibility of seeing other birds of prey from the varius Raptor centres in the area. The scene of a Golden Eagle gliding in with a backdrop of snow-covered trees is a sight to behold, as I am sure FJ would agree.

I do indeed, Rolebama!

If anyone's up this way then the drive from Lochaline to the Corran Ferry is stunning in winter. The river through the Atlantic oakwoods often gets ice flows on in cold weather and the frost on the lichen on the trees is very pretty. At the top of the pass above Loch Sunart there's stunning views of snow-covered hills and the lochside road often has enormous icicles where the water off the hill has frozen. Then as you come down to Loch Linnhe there's views over to the hills above GlenCoe and finally, as you turn north, Ben Nevis comes into view.

The A82 from the Tulla viewpoint north over Rannoch, Loch Ba and the Black Mount is spectacular as is the drive down into GlenCoe.

Driving around Boxley/Hempstead Kent down the country lanes is really lovely in the snow. However you have to be pretty careful as they don't always grit up there

The route through the Peak District is home to beautiful scenery with a plethora of things to see and do. These are the things we saw :
    The breathtaking scenery of Edale and Monsall Head
    The historic "plague village" of Eyam
    The majesty of Chatsworth House, home of the Duke of Devonshire
    The Derwent Valley, where 617 Squadron practiced their daring Dambuster raid
    The churchyard in Hathersage, the final resting place of Little John and a source of inspiration for "Jane Eyre"
    I would reccomend a trip after to the Heights of Abraham just outside of Derby. It is a hidden treasure that I had never heard of before visiting my boyfriends brother! You go in a cable car up the hillside and when you get to the top explore the caves up there! Wonderful day out!!

The b6318 northumberland

The road itself is amazingly smooth, straight & well kept.

Which makes the scenery to your right & left a real surprise.

The views are wild, with rolling hills topped by fast flowing skies & grey clouds.

You can imagine that the winds up here can be merciless, so the tumble down old stone cottages & out buildings are no surprise. They seem to have 'grown' out of the craggy ground itself.

This is Hadrian's Wall Country & out here time seems to have stood still ... You wouldn't be surprised to see Roman soldiers marching through the grassland ... And some people swear that they have. At least, the top part of them ... Apparently, this description fits their story, as the road is higher now than it was in their day!

The stories arise from people of all different walks in life ... But, mainly from the hill farmers, who are a breed of man, who are as craggy & as tough as the land they hew a living from!*

But never mind Roman spirits ... If your spirit needs a 'freshen up', I would recommend a drive along this route ... And, maybe, par-take of a different kind of spirit at the local pub Twice Brewed.

And there are plenty of homely B&B's, with roaring log fires, so you could make a weekend of it.