Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Your Driving Test Tips!

some of them are experts, in my town we have seem instructors eating, reading a book whilst driving, going down a one way street the wrong way just to save him 2 minutes,
    no they are NOT all experts.

My top tip would be to avoid racing to get your test booked and done even if you friends have all passed. Chances are if you're not ready it will show and you won't pass. When you feel ready you will know and you should pass with flying colours

Hi HGV driver. Yes, you are right. They are not all experts, they are not all good. My partner is a driving instructor and I guess I had him in mind when I wrote that

for my three boys it has definately worked to have 2 hour lessons twice a week leading up to the test. Seems expensive, but less time getting back into driving each lesson time, and less time to forget in between.. Better than a retake.

Always take your test in the car you have been learning in.
    You need to be familiar with the layout and feel of the car.
    I passed my test first time and have been driving for 40 years
    now and never had an accident and would be happy to take
    the wheel of anything.
    Good luck to all those starting out and to passing your test.

Drive exactly as you should plan to drive for the rest of your driving life - safely, carefully, with courtesy and consideration

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    this month we’d like to hear your tips for passing the uk driving test.

What should you do to prepare? What are your do’s and don’ts for the big day? And how can you calm those pre-test nerves?

Seen a useful tip and want to add more? Or disagree with someone else’s tip? Let us know here too!

Everyone who posts a tip for helping pass the uk driving test will be entered into a prize draw to win a tomtom start classic sat nav system. The competition will run close at midnight on 30th april. You can see the sat nav by clicking here

you can read the full t & c’s here
    i think the only way to pass these days is to stay cool follow the rule and book your exam at the rush hour so with luck you get stuck in a traffic jam.
    If the wheels are not turning then you failing are not unfurling.
    In all honesty its not easy these days but once you start just keep going the world loves a *tyre* sorry trier!!!!!
    When you pass as you surely will so if it hard earn t then look after it..
    When you check your car remember the word power stands for
    petrol
    oil
    water
    electric
    rubber
    basic check criteria if any fail get to the garage asap.best of llllllllllllll uck ppppppppppp eople
    peter b

My advice would be to think of it as another driving lesson, ask the examiner if you dont understand something and if you do something wrong dont panic, just carry on and stay calm

Ensure you get lots of practise over the test routes and on one-way streets, challenging junctions, pelican crossings, double mini roundabouts, etc. so you are confident on the day on
    surrounding roads. Practise manoeuvres with a professional instructor until you you are perfect and can drive with confidence. Arrange an hour's driving lesson on the day of your test so you can feel more confident. Remember to breathe and not hold your breathe during the driving test. If you make a mistake, stay calm and rectify the situation if you have stalled the car.
    Good luck!

Lessons are all very well, but you need to get enough driving experience to be totally confident in the basic driving skills before facing the examiner.