Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: the rubbish you are taught in driving lessons for your test

Default the rubbish you are taught in driving lessons for your test

thought newish/learners should put their stupid things they can remember about driving for the test. A few i can remember are:
    1) the ruddy handbrake for more than a few seconds stop. ( they have improved on everytime you are stationary ...)
    2) Use of lights, it is well known that many people flash their lights to show somone that they are giving way to them. as a learner and in your test you are not to use your lights or acknoweledge someone that does this BUT if u dont take up the opportunity of pulling out etc when someone flashes you, you will fail your test... how silly is that! sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by mills705 View Post
    thought newish/learners should put their stupid things they can remember about driving for the test. A few i can remember are:
    1) the ruddy handbrake for more than a few seconds stop. ( they have improved on everytime you are stationary ...)
    2) Use of lights, it is well known that many people flash their lights to show somone that they are giving way to them. as a learner and in your test you are not to use your lights or acknoweledge someone that does this BUT if u dont take up the opportunity of pulling out etc when someone flashes you, you will fail your test... how silly is that! sigh.
    I agree with both points, the British driving test is so badly flawed and unrealistic, it makes me cross. Every day, perfectly safe drivers are failed for completely unfair reasons, and bad drivers are passed despite doing unrealistic and dangerous things.

Please could an ADI or driving examiner explain the following injustices?:

!) Why are candidates failed when certain things happen that is not their fault whatsoever. E.g. you are sitting in the car at a red light. Someone hits you from behind. The candidate fails their test as a result of a collision, despite them doing absolutely NOTHING wrong and having NO way to avoid it. How would you like it, Mr. or Mrs. examiner, if that happened to you? Do you seriously believe that is fair? If so, please explain why!

2) Why are candidates failed for waiting for too long at a junction/roundabout that has constant traffic and you do not have priority, when if they proceed, they will cause an accident? Again, this is something that the candidate has no control over - if they wait, they fail; if they go, they fail. This is a disgrace.

3) The OP's quote: why are candidates failed if someone flashes at them and they do not proceed, even if it illegal for them to do so. Again - if they wait, they fail; and if they go, they fail, or at least get a minor for doing an illegal maneouvre. They should NOT be given even a minor if there are only two options and both options result in an "error". In real life, there is NO error for waiting at a junction if it is unsafe to move off, and you should NOT rely on someone flashing as a guarantee that it is safe.

Why are there these awful contradictions and dead-ends that would be so easy to get rid of? Is it so that the candidates have to pay another 50 to do another test?
    Last edited by 98selitb; 21-04-08 at 01:24.

completely agreed- you see its only judged on 40mins of driving which is why i believe it should be done over a period of time.
    I know a friend in Canada, there system seems alot better. To get a license you must do a theory test, and then learn and do a test, then you get 'p' plates for one year, you then resit the same test and if you pass then you have a full license. I must add the p plates are much like learner drivers. You can only have so many people in the car and at certain times...
    Im not looking at getting a newer car now i have a bit of experience.... get rid of the banger

That "P" plate idea is also used in Europe, I remember Tog gear mentioning it on one of their shows, its a good idea, really. Another thing about it was, that if a young driver, who has the "P" plate, gets pulled over for speeding, or any other motoring offence, like driving without due care and so on, they have to resit the test again! The country that had that scheme said it cut down the amount of accidents involving younger drivers, by more than half!
    Cheers, Smudger.

Yeah I agree with you, I think the 'P' idea is fairer. It's important to gain experience for yourself - it's pretty difficult to do this just in driving lessons where you are protected and stopped every time you make a mistake. I think I learnt more in the first few weeks after passing my test than I ever did while learning.

i do agree the 'p' plate scheme is better and that I have learnt more during driving on my own. Done pass plus also. Pass plus to me was a joke TBH, you drive along some country roads and then a motorway and thats about it! I reckon that needs a good looking at!
    I think having passed your test that having the 6points rule is a bit unfair in my opinion, its made me more wary of driving and everytime i see a camera i slow well down etc. I think that they make the test hard enough then when you pass you have the same rights as other drivers in points.

Yep I think the points rules should be the same for everyone, otherwise it implies some drivers are superior to others, and we don't want people driving round with that attitude. Yes, experienced drivers may be less likely to make a silly mistake but everyone makes errors sometimes and if an error justifies a penalty, people should be punished equally, not depending on experience etc.

Did Pass Plus help you get a cheaper insurance premium? And also did you learn anything new?

ill find out insurance when i get the C1, see general discussion.
    As for pass plus- it was quite boring tbh with you, the instructor has a list of points to make and he basically read them off of a booklet and asked if you understood. Most of it was common sense ie use full beam on country lanes and turn off as soon as you see someone else... I didnt find that much new out. But my driving instructor (private) was very good as i learn and deffinatly knows his stuff and I think it should be more extensive.
    A point- you cant fail pass plus just got to do 6hours minimum after your test. And do the topics but its not that good, IF u dont do it and can only talk about it ie extreme weather then they just put a as in acceptable and e for everything youve experenced.

Angry Driving tests

I honestly wonder who passes people these days! Current standards of driving are the worst I have ever seen.

An example of ignorance is displayed above; in order to pass a driving test in the UK you are supposed to have thoroughly read, digested and understood the Highway Code. Had you done so you should know that a flashed headlamp is the visual equivalent of the use of the horn. It is NOT good enough to make up your own assumptions about what signals mean because you think everybody else does it - for example, there are many foreign drivers on the UK roads; on most of the continent a flash of the headlamps means "Get out of my b****y way!", and certainly not "After you".

And where did people get the idea that if you are turning right at a mini-roundabout you can ignore the "Give Way" signs that are ineveitably on ONE of the entrances? Another example of people making up the rules as they go along. That's why road collisions are not coming down; it's nothing to do with speed, it's incompetance and lack of concentration!

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
    I honestly wonder who passes people these days! Current standards of driving are the worst I have ever seen.

An example of ignorance is displayed above; in order to pass a driving test in the UK you are supposed to have thoroughly read, digested and understood the Highway Code. Had you done so you should know that a flashed headlamp is the visual equivalent of the use of the horn. It is NOT good enough to make up your own assumptions about what signals mean because you think everybody else does it - for example, there are many foreign drivers on the UK roads; on most of the continent a flash of the headlamps means "Get out of my b****y way!", and certainly not "After you".

And where did people get the idea that if you are turning right at a mini-roundabout you can ignore the "Give Way" signs that are ineveitably on ONE of the entrances? Another example of people making up the rules as they go along. That's why road collisions are not coming down; it's nothing to do with speed, it's incompetance and lack of concentration!
    about 80% of drivers in the UK use their headlights as a way of showing someone that you are giving way to them to allow them to pull out from a junction or letting a bus out.
    I had a lady flash me out on my test and no minor was given for this since she was in quite heavy traffic. However, had i not moved off when she flashed out I would have received a minor for not keeping up with normal traffic since I didnt move out.
    There are a few instances of tests being not having road sense in modern driving, you deffinatly learn to drive once you have passed your test!