Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theory Test Prior to Grant of Provisional Driving Licence

Default Theory Test Prior to Grant of Provisional Driving Licence

I am a DSA approved driving instructor. I have been teaching driving skills for some 12 years.
    It never ceases to amaze me just how, when commencing a course of driving tuition, most students have an almost non existent knowledge of the general / basic rules of the road and the meaning of traffic signs as laid down in the Highway Code when they commence a course of driving lessons.
    I am trying to convince the Ministry of Transport that it needs to introduce a Highway Code based test which has to be passed PRIOR to an individual being granted a provisional driving licence. I would retain the present Theory test, but would make that a more in depth test of a student's knowledge, particulary hazard perception / identification.
    The requirement for an applicant to pass such a test BEFORE they are able to apply for their provisional licence would ensure that he or she has a basic level of knowledge of the rules of the road before they are allowed to drive on our roads, and might serve to reduce accidents involving new drivers. This additional test would also be an extra source of revenue for the government.
    What do you say?
    Last edited by Route.1; 17-03-12 at 23:14.

Good idea...

Yea! a good idea, but how much would yet another part of the driving test cost? The cost of sitting a driving test is already high, well so my nephew told me, compared to what I paid way back in the 70s

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Yea! a good idea, but how much would yet another part of the driving test cost? The cost of sitting a driving test is already high, well so my nephew told me, compared to what I paid way back in the 70s
    Learning to drive, just like motoring in general, is costly. What price would you put on novice drivers' safety and the safety of those sharing the roads with them whilst they are gaining their practical experience behind the wheel / in the saddle?

I have now set up an online petition to have this subject debated in the House of Commons. I need over 100,000 signatures for the petition to be successful. Please read my petition and, if you want to support the campaign, sign it. pass details to all your friends for them to sign. Help to reduce road deaths. Sign the petition.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/31557

Am I missing something? I was taught the basics of the Highway Code as a child. Reading road signs helped choose the spot to cross busy roads etc. Then, with the Cycling Proficiency Test, we learnt the basics of roadcraft. It was, and still is, a continuous learning curve. It is in my opinion down to the parents and schools to teach these what I consider necessary road skills. I know I taught both my daaughters, and although they could not quote the Highway Code verbatim, they were both aware of the 'gist' of the contents.

Before I started driving cars, I used to have a motorbike, so was well aware of the Highway code and such before hand.

Mind you, before I was even allowed to go on the road with my bike, I had to read up on the H/Code and such, and prove to my Dad that I was capable before I could get out on the road.

Mind you, this was way back, long before we had such heavy traffic as today's volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Am I missing something? I was taught the basics of the Highway Code as a child. Reading road signs helped choose the spot to cross busy roads etc. Then, with the Cycling Proficiency Test, we learnt the basics of roadcraft. It was, and still is, a continuous learning curve. It is in my opinion down to the parents and schools to teach these what I consider necessary road skills. I know I taught both my daaughters, and although they could not quote the Highway Code verbatim, they were both aware of the 'gist' of the contents.
    That was in the days of parental responsibility Rolebama. How is any parent going to fit it in these days, what with keeping up with Eastenders, Coronation Street, etc and all the time needed to research on the internet, the holiday with the cheapest booze, car insurance, lowest utility prices, and who has the best credit card.

Default Read and learn your highway code before you start to drive!

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    I agree, children should be taught road safety by their parents and teachers. Sadly though, it has been my experience over the last 12 years that about 80%-90% of the students I teach, male and female alike, are absolutely clueless when it comes to the basics concerning road safety and the Highway Code. I don't expect them to be able to quote the Highway Code to me chapter and verse, but a knowlege of road signs and who has right of way at junctions and the sequence of traffic lights would be a start. One day I had student ask me why a cyclist had stopped at a red traffic light She genuinely thought that cyclists were exempt. With hindsight, who'd be a driving instructor?
    Last edited by Route.1; 22-03-12 at 14:50.

Do you really think your idea could reduce accidents among new drivers? such an idea would only benefit whoever recieved the revenue from this additional test. The only merit i can see in this idea would be if you changed it so that the existing theory test had to be passed before a person could advance to a provisional licence and driving lessons.