Thread: Driving test figures suggest female learner drivers canít park as well as males?

Default Driving test figures suggest female learner drivers canít park as well as males?

New data from the Driving Standards Agency indicate that women are more likely than men to fail their driving test because of problems parking. While 18,798 male candidates failed for lack of control during the reverse-park manoeuvre, the female figure was 40,863. The statistics also show that women are more likely overall to fail their practical test. In 2010-11, 50 per cent of male candidates failed and 57 per cent of women, resulting in an overall failure rate of 54 per cent.

According to the Department for Transport, 1.6 million driving tests are taken each year. The DSA figures, released under the Freedom of Information Act, show that examiners recorded 1,660,206 errors by candidates that were serious enough to mean a failed test ó 718,244 by men and 941,962 by women. The total number of errors exceeds the number of tests taken because many failed candidates made multiple mistakes.

However, many instructors suggest that while men find it easier to master the basic skills of driving required to pass, they are less likely to maintain such standards. Women may take longer to learn, but are less inclined to develop bad motoring habits.

You can read the full story by clicking here

We have mothers parking their cars twice a day in our road and adjoining roads, so a repetitive form of behaviour does develop; along with some changes as a new school year commences. There are some of the women who are obviously able to handle their parking, but quite a lot who are wanting to varying degrees. For a great number of them it is a case of how badly they park from a safety point of view. Around road corners, at an angle on road corners, too far from the kerb, across driveways, on yellow lines, and so on. Some are now adopting the habit of stopping on the main road (double yellow lines and a bus route) to drop and/or pick up their charges.
    In the case of shopping car parks, I would say men are more likely to park across two parking bays.

The real problem with these driving test statistics though is perception. Different levels of nervousness, variations in difficulty affected by the area used for that element of the test, and degree of concession allowed by the examiner. So the figures must be viewed a bit tongue-in-cheek.

For my driving test, I remember having to reverse into a very uneven, cobbled cul-de-sac for my reverse parking, and a very narrow street for my 3-point turn. My tutor had warned me to avoid touching the kerb at all costs, so I made a 5-point turn; and passed.

It would be interesting to know how many of those who failed were put forward by driving schools. I think that if that amount are failing, there are grounds to start a good look at some of the schools involved. They should not be putting candidates forward for tests until they are ready. I did once hear of a school that deliberately put candidates forward early in the hope they failed, as it made it easier for the school to push them for more lessons, but the particular school is now out of business.

The amount drivers who cant reverse into a parking space, amazes me. Even one of my wife's sisters, who has been driving for years, always looks for a forward entering parking point, even if it means a long walk?

Our street is quite narrow so parking is not easy, so when she comes to our house, she has to park so far away that on some occasions she arrived soaking wet due to the long walk

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    The amount drivers who cant reverse into a parking space, amazes me. Even one of my wife's sisters, who has been driving for years, always looks for a forward entering parking point, even if it means a long walk?

Our street is quite narrow so parking is not easy, so when she comes to our house, she has to park so far away that on some occasions she arrived soaking wet due to the long walk
    I always park in forwards on supermarket car parks, and I wish everyone else would do the same. My reason is simple: I don't like the trolleys being dragged between my car and the next one, almost certain to leave scratch marks. I largely overcome the problem by parking at the furthest distance from the store entrance, where there is usually lots of room; most drivers won't walk far, you know!

The problem could be resolved by single line parking, so that you can drive forwards; in and out. Obviously, it would either reduce car spaces or require greater parking areas, but it would improve safety.

And all councils should make all businesses that operate trolleys to make them coin-operated. Might stop idle shoppers from leaving trolleys among the cars.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post

That is the difference between males and females, females give up trying , males keep on practicing until they get it right, no matter the damage.

I have been taking my wife to the supermarked for over ten years now. I sit in the car in the car park, parked in as open an area I can find, and 'watch the world go by'. (I do sometimes take a book to read, or listen to the radio.) I have now honestly lost count of the amount of people I have seen damaging other's cars and driving off without making any attempt to contact the owner of the damaged car, or leaving a note.* I have also, I believe, staved off damage to my own car by litting other drivers know I am there, either by opening the door, or tooting the horn.
    *In these instances, I write a description of the driver, and the make, model and reg no of vehicle involved. I leave a quick note under the wiper of the damaged car with my phone nu and an invitation to phone for further details. I have been contacted by only a few. Makes me wonder!?