Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving otherwise in accordance with a license?

Default Driving otherwise in accordance with a license?

OK, before I start explaining what happened. I've just come here to seek advice. I understand there is no condoning what I have done. I also understand what I have done will anger and frustrate a lot of road users but I want to say I realise how dangerous and idiotic my actions were.

To basically explain what happened...

I am 17, I have had my license 2 months. Over a week ago I stupidly aloud my friend who only has a provisional license to practice a parking manoeuvre in my mums car in an empty car park thinking I would be of no danger to other road users. As my friend was in the car, another car turned into the car park and my friend panicked, hit the accelerator instead of the break and went into the other cars headlight. I took full responsibility for my actions and paid the other car owner in cash all the damage I had caused to their car as it is entirely my fault and I was so irresponsible. The owner however did call the police and they gave me a ticket for "Driving otherwise in accordance with a license" as I was allowing someone without a license to drive my car. They also received a ticket. We were both told we would receive information in the post soon and I was told I will either get points on my license or have to go on a driver safety retraining course as well as paying a penalty.

I was completely in the wrong and have been an absolute idiot but I couldn't help notice when I was looking at the ticket, in the bit where they write all the offences I'm being charged with it only says the one "Driving otherwise in accordance with a license", which confuses me as I thought I would also get charged with permitting someone to drive without insurance.

If this was not wrote on the ticket under the offences I had committed does this mean I could still get charged with that or what?

I understand, I entirely deserve to also get charged for that offence and will have to face up to the punishment of my dangerous and idiotic actions but I just want to know if it is only the one offence I am getting charged with?

I know this still doesn't justify anything at all that I've done but I just want to say I am not the normal scum who go around driving and don't give a damn about anyone else on the road. I have never been in trouble with the police in my life for anything. Not even been stopped been warned by anyone. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs or anything. I go to college and I work part time and I'm usually so sensible. I've just been an absolute idiot and made a really bad decision which I will have to face up to.

Obviously it being my mums car my parents have hit the roof and I'm not only getting in trouble from the police but getting in serious trouble with my family.

I feel so depressed about this whole situation. I can't sleep at night and no matter what I do it is constantly on my mind and I am always worrying about what's going to happen to me.

I would just like to know if it is looking likely I will also get the insurance charge even though it wasn't stated on the ticket and what my likely punishment will be.

I in no way want to try and wriggle out of what I have done. I am fully prepared to accept the consequences of my actions and have really learned from my stupid mistake.

If anyone can give me any advice about the charge or whether I could still get the insurance offence I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

if you are teaching someone to drive you will need to have L-Plates clearly displayed, appropriate insurance for the learner driver and you must have held your licence for a minimum of 3 years and be at least 21 years old.

The big question is: Is the Car Park a private one? Is the car Park regarded as the Public Highway?

Did the Police issue you with a fixed Penalty Ticket?

It may be worth getting a good motoring solicitor, IF you hear any more from the police.

When the police gave you the tickets were the other people watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    The big question is: Is the Car Park a private one? Is the car Park regarded as the Public Highway?

Did the Police issue you with a fixed Penalty Ticket?
    I got some free advice from a solicitor and they said because the public have access to it then it is still classed as a public road. They said the main issue is whether or not they are going to prosecute me also for permitting someone to drive without insurance.

did the police ask about Insurance, MOT and who was the registered keeper?

I wonder why the police responded? I wonder whether it was because of your age?
    Last edited by Dennis W; 19-06-12 at 10:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I got some free advice from a solicitor and they said because the public have access to it then it is still classed as a public road. They said the main issue is whether or not they are going to prosecute me also for permitting someone to drive without insurance.
    Did they ask about insurance at the time? Did they caution you that anything you said may be taken down and used in evidence against you? Did they examine your driving licence?

Did they ask about insurance at the time? Did they caution you that anything you said may be taken down and used in evidence against you? Did they examine your driving licence?
    They just asked to see my insurance documents which I showed them. (obviously I am insured but my friend wasn't) however they never mentioned getting prosecuted for this.

Also, my parents were there at the time going mad at me because I called them the second it happened, and when my mum was shouting and me saying id be going to court the police officer said that wouldn't necessarily be the case and I could get offered this course. But surely if it was an insurance offense also it would have to go to court?

EDIT* Sorry they did say anything I said could be taken down in evidence yes. And they examined my driving license.

It would be unusual for the police to attend these days even traffic accidents on the road/highway. I think they may let the matter drop now. Relax.

It would be unusual for the police to attend these days even traffic accidents on the road/highway. I think they may let the matter drop now. Relax.
    No, I am sure they won't let this drop. I am just worried about whether they will charge for the insurance too because I'm guessing if they do I will get at the very least a 6 month ban which in itself may as well be a 5 year ban because it's not like I'll be able to get insured until its cleared off my license.

Not that I don't deserve that. I'm just worried about losing my job.