Thread: Ford Fiesta 01 Clutch?!

Default Ford Fiesta 01 Clutch?!

Hi Guys
    I broke down tonight and had to be towed, so just looking for some advice if any one is able to give any! I noticed this morning when I started the engine and was stationary, the car was jittering and sounded as though it might stall but was then ok so I set off to work. When I started up to leave work the biting point had changed and I didn't have a great deal of power in 1st and had to quickly change to 2nd, a few miles down the road the car started making a rattling noise, the best way to describe it is like the noise an older diesel engine makes?! (though mine is petrol) when I stopped at a roundabout the noise got louder and I really struggled to set off and thought I was going to stall in the middle of the road but I managed to hold the clutch enough to get me over. Looking for somewhere to pull in, I noticed a burning smell and smoke started coming out of the bonnet. I've never had any bother before so was a bit panicked!! Anyhow, I lifted the bonnet and it was pouring with smoke so I called the recovery truck. By the time he arrived about an hour later everything had cooled down and the car started ok without any smoke, but the clutch was high and he said he could feel it slipping when he turned it round to get it on the back of the truck. As it wasn't repairable roadside he towed me home. I have to go to the garage tomorrow which is only a mile away so is safe to drive, he said, but what exactly is the matter?! Sorry this is a little longer than I hoped but I'm quite anxious, money is tight and I'm wary of being ripped off when I don't know what the hell I'm talking about!! Thanks to anyone who read aaall of this

Sounds like a classic case of clutch worn slipping as to wether its safe to drive you may make it to the garage you may not no guarantees on this all depends on how much it's slipping and wether you can drive it safely with out the letting the clutch slip

Miss breakdown

Wasn't even the clutch, surely these breakdown people are trained in mechanics at some point?!

That is not very helpful to other forum users, what was actually wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    That is not very helpful to other forum users, what was actually wrong?
    Considering no other forum users actually replied, I'm not too worried!

Quote Originally Posted by FordFiesta01 View Post
    That's because this is in Breakdowns when it should have been in Technical and Maintenance but you're so far up your own a#se you wont have bothered to read the headings. Bye bye

Quote Originally Posted by FordFiesta01 View Post
    Well I did and I based my diagnosis on what you put unfortunately I don't have the pleasure of seeing your car so can only suspect clutch fault

Miss breakdown

Hi FordFiesta01
    Given the symptoms you described, it was reasonable to suspect the fault was clutch related and further examination at the roadside would be fruitless. Therefore, the recommendation was that the car needed to be taken to a garage for examination in workshop conditions. I'm really sorry we couldn't give you any more information about the fault on this occasion, and I hope you've managed to get the car repaired for less cost than a replacement clutch!
    MC