Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Consumer 'driverless' cars to be on the road by 2025?

villabbc, there will probably be lots of driverless cars in the UK very soon. They'll be sitting in their garages due to lack of affordability to take them on the road!

Now on that I am in total agreement with you. Bye the way it was Northampton and 1987, not Nottingam http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/7014044.stm
    And http://www.bbc.co.uk/search/news/?q=driverless%20cars

Well after that increase on fuel in today's budget, I am glad we bought that wee car when we did, as it looks like the government don't want us working calls people to have our own cars any more?

And, if you are one of the lucky few to have a job, they have just made it more expensive for you to commute to it

On the news a week or two ago, I believe Cameron was at a Derby factory, and during his speech he said he was working to bring down fuel prices.
    And in the Budget, Osbourne announced that the allowances for pensioners was to be frozen until the 'under 65' allowance caught up with it. I have always assumed that the additional allowance was because, in advanced age, it was necessary to pay for DIY work because of safety/risk of injury. Doesn't seem to count anymore.
    Sounds like vandals on the swings and roundabouts.
    You might have to swap that wee car for a donkey and cart, smudger, and tether it on grass verges to graze.
    Wasn't there a previous Chancellor who came up with "The Final Solution" to dispose of a problematic group of people???

I believe Cameron was at a Derby factory, and during his speech he said he was working to bring down fuel prices.
    I remember him waffling about some truncated way of reducing the cost of crude oil to reduce fuel costs for motorists but, I see they are still planning on adding the 3pence per litre fuel duty increase in August(?) this year.

Plus VED has been increased too. which brings me back to another thing about VED, How some car salesmen are saying it will be free for life. I remember the free VED for cars over 25 years old but, It did not last for long did it? By the time my classic car got to 24 years old they stopped it.

Hey Snowball, have you seen the latest Ford Focus advert on TV? it seems They have jumped Bill Ford`s prediction by a mere 12 years, well maybe not quite but very close. If thats not a driverless car perhaps you would be good enough to explain to me what it is? OK it doesent drive down the M/Way by itself Yet! And it dosent deal with trafic etc, but hey they`ve got another 12 years to go yet.

Quote Originally Posted by villabbc View Post
    Hey Snowball, have you seen the latest Ford Focus advert on TV? it seems They have jumped Bill Ford`s prediction by a mere 12 years, well maybe not quite but very close. If thats not a driverless car perhaps you would be good enough to explain to me what it is? OK it doesent drive down the M/Way by itself Yet! And it dosent deal with trafic etc, but hey they`ve got another 12 years to go yet.
    I see it as a little further along the road with available technology, but it is a long way off being a 'driverless car'. Wouldn't pay the extra for the gimmic, quite frankly.
    Rather worrying is the possibility that an owner may put too much faith and reliance on the gadget, with unfortunate consequences; and heaven help anybody when the thing goes wrong. Which is one reason why I refused the self-park facility on my present car; when I need that, I'll pack in driving.

Snowball, I dont necessarily disagree with you about the desirability of driverless cars, or really any of the points you make about them, what I do dissagree with you about is the fact that they are on their way, and will inevitably be on the road probably sooner rather than later. Claims are made that they will be safer, well maybe they will, maybe they wont only time will give us the answer to that. But trying to argue against the relentless advance of technology, seems to me to a waste of your obvious intelligence.
    Check out these webb sites and tell me you still think its an unrealistic dream from Bill Ford?

http://mashable.com/2012/02/19/drive...s-infographic/
    And
    http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2012/0...riverless-car/

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I see it as a little further along the road with available technology, but it is a long way off being a 'driverless car'. Wouldn't pay the extra for the gimmic, quite frankly.
    Rather worrying is the possibility that an owner may put too much faith and reliance on the gadget, with unfortunate consequences; and heaven help anybody when the thing goes wrong. Which is one reason why I refused the self-park facility on my present car; when I need that, I'll pack in driving.

It'll be interesting when the driver less cars do hit the roads. Bearing in mind they'll be working on sat nav. I can just see it now "Sorry officer, The car turned the wrong way up the one way street, There must be a problem with the sat nav"

And will the car's be issued a licence to drive so they can have the points applied to them ?

I'm not against advances in technology, villabbc. But there are many areas where technology can be suppressed by logistics (cost, practicality, etc.), and I beleieve our road networks fall into this category. Government and local authorities are not going to spend taxpayers money on any necessary infrastructure installations just so that a few drivers (because it will be a few for a considerable length of time) can sit back and relax instead of fully controlling the vehicle. Especially as it would have to include a positive honetpot for government revenue.

Then there is the safety question; both in driver competence to switch from autopilot to manual, as all roads would not be adapted for this technology, and also system failure. Government acceptance in reaching comprehensive road traffic regulations for driverless vehicles could take years to pass through parliament, and might never get to final approval.

Add to this the problems of visiting vehicles to and from the UK. Inability to agree on autonomy for much more important things than driverless cars indicates the dodo climate they would face.

When you consider driverless transport, what could be easier than the railways? Everything controlled on rails, facilities for trackside installations readily accessible along the whole of the permanent way. Yet, as far as I am aware, there are no plans to make our rail locomotives driverless.

So, whilst I acknowledge that the technology is possible, in practice I put my money on it already being dead in the water commercially.