Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Employee changing a spare wheel on company vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    Do you change your own wheels on your own car? Would you advise your partner or children to change car wheels?
    I might, depending on the circumstances, but then I was probably changin wheels before you was born. I wouldn't expect my wife or my daughter to even try - they would phone the RAC - that's why I pay all that money for membership.

I taughht both my daughters to change their own wheels. In the same way I taught them to check their fluid levels, lights and tyre pressures. If they are unfortunate enough to get a puncture in a position where they consider themselves to be at risk, I told them to drive to a place of safety. It is not rocket science. It is Health and Safety gone mad!

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    I taughht both my daughters to change their own wheels. In the same way I taught them to check their fluid levels, lights and tyre pressures. If they are unfortunate enough to get a puncture in a position where they consider themselves to be at risk, I told them to drive to a place of safety. It is not rocket science. It is Health and Safety gone mad!
    You have a point there - people often seem to think that you can't move if you have a flat tyre. OK - moving will wreck the tyre, but if the situation is dangerous then slowly moving to a safe place must be the best option.

I too showed my family how to do this basic stuff - but heaven forfend that they should break a nail

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    So your daughter has a blow out on the motorway: is the hard shoulder a safe place for her to change a wheel? If not, how does she drive to a place of safety?

Quote..." is the hard shoulder a safe place for her to change a wheel?"

So where are the RAC/AA/Greenflag folk going to change it then?

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Quote..." is the hard shoulder a safe place for her to change a wheel?"

So where are the RAC/AA/Greenflag folk going to change it then?
    The RAC/AA/Greenflag folk may change it on the hard shoulder, or they may remove it first.

If they do opt to work on the hard shoulder, they have highly visible vehicles which will be positioned to protect the casualty vehicle, and they are trained in safe ways of working.

Even so, they still get killed and injured. The hard shoulder is NOT a place of safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    So your daughter has a blow out on the motorway: is the hard shoulder a safe place for her to change a wheel? If not, how does she drive to a place of safety?
    It just depends on how wide the hard shoulder actually is.

I do not think a wayward vehicle is going to pause to measure the width of the hard shoulder do you.