Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Employee changing a spare wheel on company vehicle

Default Employee changing a spare wheel on company vehicle

Hi all

I'm after some advice please.

My company run around 150 LCV's ranging from Fiesta vans to Movano Tippers, the largest being a 3500kg weight.
    We are intending to run a Health and Safety training course on changing a road wheel to the spare wheel in the event of a puncture. I'd like to play a DVD to our employees that is a complete walkthrough from positioning the vehicle before starting the removal to tightening the nuts once spare has been put on.

I've searched the internet and had no luck in finding such a DVD.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would seek advice from your insurers (employers); I think they will be happier if your employees are told not to change wheels. Fleet cover is available from most roadside assistance companies (RAC etc.) and the national tyre companies.

A lot of fleet companys have banned there drivers from changing wheels due to fact of wheels coming loose/ off or drivers injuring themselfs that set a side more often than not i get called to a car to change a wheel the driver cant get the wheel nuts of or the wheel is stuck on the hub

Miss breakdown

If you ever do want to make a DVD on a subject, you can get a good idea of how to do it by watching video clips on U-Tube. You see some poor ones in there, but there are few really good ones that you can learn a lot from.

Its possible to watch how they zoom in/out, the quality of the sound and so on.. I've put together quite a tidy one of all our grandchildren playing in our garden, with the help from one of my wife's sons, who is really good at sort of thing, especially with computers where he did the editing.

I thought that was Mr. Bean, by the way he set all that gear up

So if a RAC patrol needs a wheel change does he call Kwikfit??H&S gone mad

Quote Originally Posted by davesdad View Post
    So if a RAC patrol needs a wheel change does he call Kwikfit??H&S gone mad
    No we change them ourself or if lazy put a plug init

Miss breakdown

I really don't understand some of the posts on this thread. Changing a wheel is not rocket science. I taught myself to change a wheel back before companies like Kwik Fit existed. I never had any problems, although I now carry a telescopic wheel spanner to make life a little easier for myself.

You'd be surprised Rolebama. One of my relatives tried to change a wheel, The car was on a slight hill with an excessive camber dropping away on the side he wanted to change the wheel, He took the wheel nuts all the way off before jacking the car up and ended up with the car moving sideways and the wheel jammed between the brake and the wheel arch. Luckily for him, He didn't injure himself and there was only minor damage to the car.