Thread: Scottish University Fees.

Default Scottish University Fees.

I was totally confused by last night's BBC News. English students going to a scottish university have to pay full fees. Mainland EU students get in free. A scottish (minister/MP?) said they were looking at the possiblity of charging these students, but it would probably be ruled illegal by the EU.
    I thought England was part of the EU. What am I missing, apart from wondering why we ever accepted any ruling from the EU?

I always think the larger puzzle is why charge university fees at all.

Well yes, that too. To stay competitive in world markets we need our next generations to be highly educated in all branches of industry and commerce. And yet our government weakly accept a glaring and disadvantageous set up that will stunt UK growth in years to come.
    I am not keen on this devolving of the UK - English, Scots, Welsh 'going their own ways. The ability to hold our own against the EU countries needs all of us to set aside our differences and pull together to ensure we do what is best for the UK as a region to be reckoned with. What is the point of having our own way as a clearly recognised country within the UK, if the end result is a weaker one?
    What happened in the past (royalty, politics, etc) is history. Nothing has truly changed, and in 100 years we'll all be dead and gone; and still nothing will have changed. What stupid game are we playing at?

After the fiasco of the Eurovision Song Contest in which all the old Russian satellite countries autvoted the Western European countries, maybe there is a form of logic in devolution. If England, Scotland, N Ireland and Wales all had seperate representatives in the EU, maybe the old Soviet bloc countries would not have such a say in matters.

I only ever voted for the Common Market never for the European Union. Devolution just increases costs, more politicians, and civil serpents with nothing in return.

Quote..."I only ever voted for the Common Market never for the European Union."

I cant remember us getting a referendum on voting for that, I remember they said they were going to give us one, but it never happened? I also think this Scottish parliament is just another layer of bureaucracy, that we don't need and is costing the tax payer a fortune!

The building itself cost millions more than estimated

i think, and i might get shot down here, but i think too many people go to uni now, it must be something like 50% or more of teenagers can go if the want too and if they can afford too, which is too many, it's nothing special now