Thread: It';s been three long years!!

Default It';s been three long years!!

Yes, got the news yesterday - I have passed all the work and am now a rally radio controller! What a relief! And I managed to get it on the Snowman Rally last Saturday with appalling conditions. However, it's a bit like the driving test - you've passed now it's practise, practise, practise.

Hi Fj, did you catch the BBC4 program about group 10 rally cars, madness on wheels, there is some insight into why drivers did it... On the iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...raziest_Years/

Congrats, FJ!

Yes, but as Wagolynn's story will show, do not stand in the middle of the road for a better view.....

Ops, sorry Fj I meant to congratulate you on your achievement above, ah well better late than never.

Thanks, people!

Yes, Wagolynn, watched it - more than once. Dark, but great insights into what drivers thought. Shame they didn't have Tony Pond's interview that he did on one of the Portugeuse rallys of that era re speccies. Frankly, felt murderous at the speccy who blamed the driver in the Santos crash, whereas his fellow speccy didn't. In 89, did Mendola Hill Climb in a Frazer-Nash so no major high speeds but with a solid back axle hairpins were interesting and couldn't believe speccies - they were hanging from tree branches above you and running across the road in front of you; it was just a tunnel of bodies and you kept thinking "s**t", how many will you hurt or kill if your 10" cable brakes fail - compare that to what those drivers with their huge power must have felt!

Whilst I'm glad for more safety aspects, motorsport in any size shape or form is going to be dangerous and, sadly, occasionally lethal. But that era was when there were real challenges out there and rallying was truly popular; it's all got a bit dumbed down now.

Not knocking the Beeb - we could do with a lot more rallying on tv - after all, particularly tarmac stages, have more relevance than roundy roundy (no offence meant) to driving and you can still compete at Clubman level. Maybe that's why Mull has so many aspiring young competitors.

Hi Fj,
    Many people do act stupidly around cars; somehow, they just don't see the danger or just don't understand. Oh! That sounds suspiciously like people around or in normal traffic. The Frazer-Nash on the hill climb sounds like fun. I think it is impossible to put into words the elation from having done a good run where you and the car have worked together.