Thread: Closed roads motorsport.

Default Closed roads motorsport.

OK, many on here know I'm into rallying - as a marshal - but legislation currently going through the various Parliamentary procedures concerns all forms of 2 and 4 wheel motor sports on closed roads. Essentially, for those not aware, currently in UK, any Club/organisation wishing to run a closed road event has to go through the long and expensive process of acquiring an Act of Parliament, as has happened with the Mull Rally and the Jim Clark Memorial Rally, both in Scotland.

Please do not go into issues such as the tragic fatalities on the JMCR this year; these are still under investigation and the Scottish Gov't review of motor sport is ongoing.

I am simply asking how aware folks are and what they perceive as the benefits and disadvantages of closed roads motor sport events of any type. I have no axe to grind - it's just genuine interest.

Thumbs up

I guess that many local authorities would "bend over backwards" to assist an organisation to hold an event in their County, for the benefits for Tourism and advertising the County.

I would just love to be allowed to drive on a closed road, I'm into rallying as such, but the opportunity to do "progressive driving" on a closed road would be great!I saw in Top Gear that the government were relaxing the laws on such events, to come in line with EU laws, so that should help a bit.