Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Experience - double problem

Angry Bad Experience - double problem

We don't like complaining, but when we have paid for a service and don't receive it, we get unhappy.

My wife and I have been RAC members for over 50 years each and are currently subscribed to the RAC Roadside Recovery service - maybe 5 callouts in all that time and A1 service received every time.

However at 4.30pm on 11th February 2012 – weather sub-zero - the front spring on my wife's car broke and cut through and deflated the tyre. Car immobilised with 71 year old woman on her own with our 4 year old grandchild.

She called RAC on 0800 828282 - received recorded message "all our lines are busy; either hang on or call back later". She hung on for eight minutes in the freezing cold; no response.

Eventually, after considerable concern, they were picked up by a passing motorist and were taken to safety. I had to pay a local garage to collect and store the car later that evening.

We are aware that at least one of the local RAC emergency call-outs was available so it was not lack of resources on the ground.

The RAC will surely have been aware of the poor road conditions in other parts of the country and so should have had additional staff and lines available to at least answer the first point of contact on the emergency telephones.

We do NOT want to be told that the RAC was too busy to answer a telephone call from a lone old age pensioner with a young child on a cold winter’s evening.

Double problem ? - so far no response has been received to our email and letter contacts with RAC Customer Service.

Full details as they emerge on my site http://tinyurl.com/7dndzuk - we are NOT HAPPY

Olive & Jim Butterworth
    Last edited by sfj642; 28-02-12 at 23:40. Reason: loss of colour

I apologise for the problems you experienced. Our records show that we sent a letter to you on 21st, sorry if this has not arrived. We will call you to discuss this matter further this morning.
    Thank you
    Angela

I understand that we spoke with both you and your wife yesterday at 10am and the matter has been resolved to your satisfaction.
    Thank You
    Angela

Angry Still not happy

Letter of apology belatedly arrived today (24th) - but why a need to apologise (feel sorry for Customer Care staff) when the RAC failed at the first point of contact.

Had my wife been able to get through, an RAC man was close by and surely the RAC operator would have been able to prioritise a lone OAP with a small grandchild on a freezing cold evening? But not even a sympathetic human voice to talk through the problem with a terrified wife and child on their own in the dusk.

Is the RAC telling us not to break down at inconvenient (to them) times ?

For the last 50 years we have paid for a service we have been unable to access when we really needed it. Agreed we have had some recompense however nothing can remove the feeling that the RAC is NOT always there these days.

Apologies to all the staff to whom we have given a hard time - but this is a management problem that needs to be resolved.
    Last edited by sfj642; 28-02-12 at 23:48. Reason: loss of colour

As explained to you both in our letter and over the telephone we did experience a huge increase in calls for assistance on 11 February due to the weather in certain parts of the country. I trust that the service you have received from RAC over the many years you have been a customer has shown that this is not indicative of our usual standards as we are renowned for our swift response times, our ability to repair most vehicles at the roadside and our professional and first class customer service. We are sorry that this was not reflected on this occasion and grateful for the time you have taken to bring this matter to our attention.
    Regards Angela

Default Management problem

I repeat - this is a senior management problem that needs to be addressed

There may well have been an increased number of calls elsewhere in the country due to the poor weather conditions - however this does not alter the fact that road conditions in the South-West were good and ours was a genuine call for help due to a breakdown (not the weather) and local RAC call-out staff were not under undue pressure.

Even under the worst conditions elsewhere, someone in an unaffected area should be able to access a human voice in a position to prioritise and direct staff on the ground.

In the light of other comments on the forum, senior management need to look closer into how they can ensure that ALL calls can be picked up in all eventualities.

With respect to the hardworking staff "on the ground", please ensure that senior management see and respond to our concern.

Best wishes from Jim Butterworth
    http://jimbutterworth.co.uk/
    Last edited by sfj642; 28-02-12 at 23:43. Reason: loss of colour

On 23rd March I emailed the Secretary to the Chairman and the Chief Executive of the RAC.

They appear to be out as I have not received an acknowledgement or a reply.

Reminder sent today . . . . see my site http://tinyurl.com/7dndzuk

Just a thought,how do you know the PA`s email address?????

easy - google Royal Automobile Club Chairman - will take you to this page http://tinyurl.com/cbzevwk

easy - google Royal Automobile Club Chairman - will take you to this page http://tinyurl.com/cbzevwk
    But RAC Motoring Services - which is what the complaint is about - is NOTHING to do with the Royal Automobile Club.