Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: QUIZ: How well do you know UK road signs?

When I was doing that emergency driving course,we had to learn and be able to write down, word perfect what various traffic signs meant, along with being able to quote passages from the road craft manual, to the letter.

To be honest, I thought it was a waste of time, as it never improved our driving skills, it just meant that we could quote word for ward, what most traffic sign meant in the highway code?

Quote Originally Posted by ficklejade View Post
    but I also think that there's an element of not necessarily taking in signs that are not relevant to one's normal habitat!
    I think often we become complacent when we drive the same roads regularly, I remember driving through my home town in an articulated lorry with a driving assessor in passengers seat, I went around the bend slowing up for the traffic lights when he said to me that there was a road sign missing. It took me a while to work out what he was getting at, There was no warning sign for the traffic lights which are not visible until you get around the bend.

There's a fair few folks wouldn't work out the toad and otter crossing signs.
    It means to turn off the radio so you can hear them squishing under the wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    When I was doing that emergency driving course,we had to learn and be able to write down, word perfect what various traffic signs meant, along with being able to quote passages from the road craft manual, to the letter.

To be honest, I thought it was a waste of time, as it never improved our driving skills, it just meant that we could quote word for ward, what most traffic sign meant in the highway code?
    As with all things, the ability to do something doesn't mean you will do it.

If road signs have to be learned, does that not suggest the signs are badly designed? All that one needs to know is the difference between advisory signs and mandatory signs. Alternatively, have I missed something...?

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    If road signs have to be learned, does that not suggest the signs are badly designed? All that one needs to know is the difference between advisory signs and mandatory signs. Alternatively, have I missed something...?
    I think that most of these mandatory signs are pictorially obvious; probably to accommodate foreign drivers and made common throughout the EU. Wording with/on the signs then becomes unnecessary.
    For example, my mistake, when I put high winds instead of crosswinds, would not affect the outcome of how the sign was reacted to. Being a caravanner, when I see that sign I know that I am likely to meet an exposed situation; unprotected high ground or a bridge.

I got 7/10.

The National Trust one I think is completely irrelevant to being able to drive safely, though I got that as it is quite recognisable.

Now, why would there need to be a sign warning of army vehicles on the road? I would not drive any differently apart from being prepared to squeeze in if or give way/reverse a tank was about. But as far as I am aware you have no obligation to give way to ordinary army vehicles just because they're military? Sure, if one had the body language that it was an emergency, I'd just let it past anyway, but I would not treat them any differently from any other vehicle otherwise.

Thinking of signs, what about those who passed their tests before the theory test came in? How were you tested, if at all, on the basic road signs? Was it part of the practical test or the questions at the beginning? Did the examiner just point them out along the route and ask you to tell them what they meant?

Well, when we were holidaying in North Yorkshire, we noticed that the roads we were on passed through an MoD area where tanks actually cross the roads during manoeuvres. I would much prefer the warning signs, than suddenly meet up with one of these beasts without prior knowledge that such a meeting might occur.

Quote Originally Posted by 98selitb View Post
    I got 7/10.

The National Trust one I think is completely irrelevant to being able to drive safely, though I got that as it is quite recognisable.

Now, why would there need to be a sign warning of army vehicles on the road? I would not drive any differently apart from being prepared to squeeze in if or give way/reverse a tank was about. But as far as I am aware you have no obligation to give way to ordinary army vehicles just because they're military? Sure, if one had the body language that it was an emergency, I'd just let it past anyway, but I would not treat them any differently from any other vehicle otherwise.

Thinking of signs, what about those who passed their tests before the theory test came in? How were you tested, if at all, on the basic road signs? Was it part of the practical test or the questions at the beginning? Did the examiner just point them out along the route and ask you to tell them what they meant?
    A mixture of all three, if you did not react appropriately to a sign, the examiner would usually ask you about the sign, at the time or if not appropriate, later. This of course, was when you were expected to have reasonable basic driving skills and some road craft. If the driver is actually driving the vehicle (as opposed to being a passenger in the driving seat), most (not all) road signs are superfluous, the driver will/should be aware of the problem without the sign.
    Military vehicle signs are not so much for the vehicles on the road rather to alert you to vehicles joining the road in unusual places.