Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QUIZ: How well do you know UK road signs?

Default QUIZ: How well do you know UK road signs?

When you see a road traffic sign do you always remember what it means? Test your knowledge in our latest quiz!

Click here to take the quiz

How did you get on in the quiz? Let us know by posting a comment below.

I obviously don't know my road signs as well as I thought I did!

Only 8 out of 10! Hadn't seen the watercourse along roadside one - we could do with some of those - and never seen a sign allowing one to park partly on pavements/verges - thought that was not permitted?

Mind you, we don't exactly have a plethora of roadsigns anyway!!

I got 10 Obviously all those years of entering competitions and reading the highway code have managed to drum it in.

FJ, That partial pavement parking one is very popular in London boroughs and is usually accompanied by a dotted line painted on the pavement.

You beat me, FJ. I only got 7 out of 10. My failures were;
    Explosives in vehicle - have never seen this sign.
    Side winds - I chose high winds.
    Cycle route ahead - I chose cycle route only.

This quiz did give me a thought, though. There must be quite a number of new signs that have come into being since many drivers last read their highway code; which itself could be out of date. When we get out road tax renewal, would it not be a good idea if the road signs were printed on the back?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    When we get out road tax renewal, would it not be a good idea if the road signs were printed on the back?
    Do you really think the average motorist would bother reading it? My mother and father are both retired, Have held licenses for longer than 30 and 50 years. I doubt either of them would get more than 2 out of this 10. A few years back I took my mother somewhere in my car and there was a minimum speed limit sign showing 20 and she started to tell me I was speeding as I was doing about 60. When I explained it was a minimum speed it just went in one ear and out the other.

For me it is a case of self pride to know the signs and to keep as up to date as possible, The highway code is available online and you can download the PDF files for almost the whole highway code. In this time where almost everyone has internet access there is no real excuse for not knowing it, Apart from laziness or lack of interest. The latter which seems to be the most common.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    I got 10 Obviously all those years of entering competitions and reading the highway code have managed to drum it in.

FJ, That partial pavement parking one is very popular in London boroughs and is usually accompanied by a dotted line painted on the pavement.
    Thanks for that, Mr D - long time since I was in my home town!! And not seen the like in Edinburgh or Glasgow. Presumably they have passed a bye-law to allow partial pavement parking and have wide pavements?

Snowball, I've not seen the explosives sign either but, bearing in mind all the legislation about carrying hazardous goods on ferries using similar symbols, made a guess. Side winds one was easy - if you live where I do !

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    Do you really think the average motorist would bother reading it? My mother and father are both retired, Have held licenses for longer than 30 and 50 years. I doubt either of them would get more than 2 out of this 10. A few years back I took my mother somewhere in my car and there was a minimum speed limit sign showing 20 and she started to tell me I was speeding as I was doing about 60. When I explained it was a minimum speed it just went in one ear and out the other.

For me it is a case of self pride to know the signs and to keep as up to date as possible, The highway code is available online and you can download the PDF files for almost the whole highway code. In this time where almost everyone has internet access there is no real excuse for not knowing it, Apart from laziness or lack of interest. The latter which seems to be the most common.
    I'm not saying you're wrong Mr Danno, but I also think that there's an element of not necessarily taking in signs that are not relevant to one's normal habitat! There's a fair few folks wouldn't work out the toad and otter crossing signs.

Sadly, Mrdanno, I cannot argue with your opinion; it seems only too on the nail. But that doesn't mean any move in the right direction should not be taken, particularly when such messages can be put across with little or no cost (being included on paperwork that will be issued anyhow). You are correct that many would not bother to read and assimilate the information, but I think a great many would do just that; which would not be a bad thing. Added to that, some would absorb at least some of the information without realising they had done so.
    Remember the fuss some years ago about the idea of putting millisecond flashes of TV adverts on our screens; using subliminal suggestion to whet our appettites for a product without us even realising it had happened.
    Hmm! There's a thought for a road safety campaign. Or had I better not go down that road? Might get the Big Brother group all excited!

well i got 8/10 which isnt bad seeing that some of the signs i have never seen or heard of before