Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-pollution fault. peugeot 307 2.0 petrol engine, 53plate

Default Anti-pollution fault. peugeot 307 2.0 petrol engine, 53plate

I have a 2.0 petrol engine 307. About 5 months ago I had had a new CAT fitted. Recently I get the generic "anti-pollution" fault message and the engine warning light comes on.
    I have had several diagnostic tests run giving the codes for "random Missfire". I have had new plugs fitted but this hasnt sorted it. the coil pack and lambda sensors have all been checked and are ok. Every time the engine warning light is switched off I can drive for 3 days (just under 50 miles) then the light will come on again. It is that regular I could tell you when and where the light will come on!
    I now get the "P0420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1" code.
    Anybody have any ideas on how to resolve this?

The catalyst is not good enough. The parameters set by Peugeot are very tight so when a different cat is fitted it must be of the same quality. To check for sure, on a QUALITY diagnostic tool watch the oxygen sensor readings on a hot engine when it is idling. The first sensor will switch from 0.2 - 0.8 volts around once a second. The second sensor should be fairly stable around 0.6 volts. If the second sensor goes up and down like the first, the cat has definitely failed.

Well I was going to take the car to an auto-electrician but topped up at BP garage (I normaly use supermarket garages to top up) and the light has stayed off. I will continue to use BP now as I have read somewhere that supermarket petrol is lower grade and can sometimes set off the engine management light and hope that is the problem sorted!

Had the O2 sensors checked. cat has definately failed. Car is going back to garage that fitted the cat tomorrow. What are my rights when it comes to this? the cat should be replaced for free right?

The cat has 12 months warranty.

Garage replaced cat free of charge. They think it was just a dodgy part as it was meant to be 'type approved'. Car going ok so far, fingers crossed!

the replacement cat has the same problem/fault code. the garage say as it is a type approved cat that the problem must lie elsewhere, possibly the lambda sensors or the ecu itself and suggest taking the car to a pug dealer. anybody every heard of this kind of thing or are they fobbing me off?

Sounds like the problem is lying with the random misfire, even an occasional, and sometimes un-noticable misfire, will allow enough unburnt fuel through the exhaust for the lambda sensors to detect and bring up an emissions fault. Ideally you need to find someone with really good diagnostic equipment to monitor the vehicle when the fault occurs to see if they can determine the source of the problem, if you do go to the dealers be prepared to raid the piggy bank!!!

I would not be surprised if the cat is not up to it. There are too many poor ones still in the market. It must have an E stamped on it but then so do the copies. I can only repeat what I said previously:

'The parameters set by Peugeot are very tight so when a different cat is fitted it must be of the same quality. To check for sure, on a QUALITY diagnostic tool watch the oxygen sensor readings on a hot engine when it is idling. The first sensor will switch from 0.2 - 0.8 volts around once a second. The second sensor should be fairly stable around 0.6 volts. If the second sensor goes up and down like the first, the cat has definitely failed.'

If the second sensor is stable around 0.6 volts then the problem is, as RAC-Mick says, elsewhere. You do NOT have to go to a dealer for this, most good garages can check this for you.

The number on the Cat is: EEC E9103R00 EPO
    I have typed this number into a search engine but cant find any reference to this being a Peugeot type approved cat
    there is also another number 18683
    and EP052584
    Do these numbers make sense to anyone?