Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feel like i'm never going to get it!!

Default Feel like i'm never going to get it!!

totally despondent about driving, can't afford to spend any more money on lessons, but lessons are the only time I have any confidence, Lucky for me I have my own car to practice in which i know everyone is not so fortunate to have, but every day i talk myself out of driving it i get so nervous i feel like i will never do it - can anyone reassure me that i will get there some day i know that is a big ask i need some tips to give me confidence

Welcome to the site Madmole, you never mentioned in your post if you have ever done a driving test?.. Also you say.... "but lessons are the only time I have any confidence,"..... Well if you already own a car, all you have to do is keep practising with a qualified driver beside you.

That way, you are bound to build up your confidence over time, ....job done ."simples" Good luck

Never taken a test yet, that prospect is very scary at the present time - the only qualified driver i can go out with is my hubby who has 30+ years experience and gets frustrated with me as soon as i reach the end of the road :-(

sorry to be so negative x

Ah! well in that case, I'm sure there is someone in your family, or a friend who could sit with you while you drive, after all, there will come a time when your husband or someone in your family or a friend, will need a lift to somewhere.

As Smudger says, get a member of your family or a friend to go out with you. Before you start, sit in the driver's seat with your hands on the wheel, and shut your eyes. Then think of how you have managed perfectly well in the presence of your Instructor during lessons, and remember it.

Thanks both :-)

Make sure you it's someone you are sure will not erode your confidence. We all feel like this; it's normal.

It is well known that husbands and fathers make the worst instructors. A cliche but mostly true.

You need to find someone else to sit with you while you practice - not someone who will keep telling you what you are doing wrong but someone who will encourage you like your instructor does.

Have a look at some of the half wits who have passed their tests - you must be better than them

Quote......."Have a look at some of the half wits who have passed their tests -"

Aye! but they all weren't as bad drivers as that when they passed their driving test, they just allowed their driving standards to drop down so low, during the years after passing it