Thread: ford focus ignition key problem

Default ford focus ignition key problem

Hi problem having inserted key into ignition key refuses to turn. moves only 2-3 mm then stops rigid. steering wheel is free not locked. fob opens and locks doors as usual still good connection. after 10 minutes trying key and locking/unlocking doors it finally rotated and started on first turn as usual

Welcome to the site gordsfocus, have you tried spraying some WD40 onto the key before you insert it, that might loosen the lock up a bit.

Default Ford focus ignition key problem

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Welcome to the site gordsfocus, have you tried spraying some WD40 onto the key before you insert it, that might loosen the lock up a bit.
    Hi thanks for reply . tried WD40 but no joy, had suggestion about focus coil packs causing various problems of this sort. I was thinking more of ignition barrel myself. Would welcome any info. like to find solution, so I may get it sorted on friday (1st time of i will get off) cheers gord.

you need a new ignition barrel asap it will seize and you wont be able to turn it ford sell them as a kit

miss breakdown

Default focus ignition problem

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Breakdown View Post
    you need a new ignition barrel asap it will seize and you wont be able to turn it ford sell them as a kit

miss breakdown
    Hi mb thanks for info, think you got it in one . had similar info from guys at work with ford ignitions.cheers again gord.

I always thought lubricating locks with 'wet' oil or grease was a no no due to dust sticking to the lubricant. I always use powdered graphite for locks, in the case of ignition locks great care has to be used to prevent graphite getting on or near the actual switch or connections.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    I always thought lubricating locks with 'wet' oil or grease was a no no due to dust sticking to the lubricant. I always use powdered graphite for locks, in the case of ignition locks great care has to be used to prevent graphite getting on or near the actual switch or connections.
    Hi cheers wagolynn good to know. going to settle for barrel-kit probably best in long run.thanks gordy.

The problem with thd ford keys is they wear the tumberlers and lubing them doesnt really help

Miss breakdown