Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda Accord And Honda Civic

Default Honda Accord And Honda Civic

We have an Accord & a Civic both 2005 models owned from New

They are both average cars but have had a few major issue over the last 6-7 years

Accord,

Timming chain failed , Manifold Failed both were replaced under the Honda extended warranty since the car was over 5 years old at the time. Fuel consumption was reasonable, no where near the 50mpg as stated for the 2.2i-cdti more in the range of 32 mpg.

Civic, type S

Bearing has failed in the gearbox twice over 6-7 years, Honda have recalled some models but not the 1.6 type S version. so much for reliability

we wont be buying Honda's again, Gona go back to BMW's

This isn't a 'review' as such is it?

Accord,

Timming chain failed , Manifold Failed both were replaced under the Honda extended warranty since the car was over 5 years old at the time.
    As for this I would say that is excellent customer service!

Sorry to read you felt so disappointed by Honda. I have been happily driving my Civic 1.6 vtec for just over ten years without a hitch. Starts like a dream every morning, accelerates safely past long vehicles on the motorway and is very economical around town too.

... and before you ask, no I am not employed by Honda.

Beemers are well known to be another good make - I wish you joy and satisfction.

I've never heard anything bad about Honda's, until now, they are well known for being reliable.

In fact most Japanese cars, including our Mazda, are the same. I have heard that BMW spares are expensive, but never having owned one, I wouldn't know.

Unfortunately, most manufacturers build quality has gone downhill over the last ten years or so. Some more so than others, and some more noticeably than others. Coupled with the competetive nature of the VOSA consumption tests, and the tendency to make everything reliant on computer systems also means reliability suffering as none of the dealerships have technicians with degrees in computer science, let alone basic vehicle electrics. (You only have to look at some of the questions in Tech and Maint to see this.) At the end it is the consumer who suffers with a car full of technology that nobody understands, and is, in some cases, fighting within itself because of incompatability issues.

Well, yes that is an issue however we all are so much technology dependent these days that using the old style of driving wont help. I agree the manufacturers have gone cheaper to mint more money but that what they are doing business for. Hope that makes sense.

I'm sorry rajkanwar321, but I don't understand your comment; 'we all are so much technology dependent these days that using the old style of driving wont help'. Clarification please.
    As to manufacturers being in business to make money, I understand that, but that does not mean they are not obliged to make and sell a safe, reliable product.

Manufacturers are listening, as I saw on the news recently, that cars in Britain have gone from being the easiest cars to break into, to the hardest to brake into in the past 10 years.

Which is all well and good, but it just means more costly damage when they really want what they see on the parcel shelf or down in footwells. Some years ago, I watched a guy break his own door glass because he had locked his keys in the car. I saw him again later, and out of interest enquired how much it cost for a replacement glass. His answer was 173, because it came with various other bits and pieces attached. That was in 1986. How much today?

I meant that we are use to these kind of cars - I mean automatic types. And I agree even if manufacturers have to make money there is a social responsibility attach to it to make safe and reliable product.