Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MINI the legend lives on.

Thumbs up MINI the legend lives on.

Hi all this is my first post. I passed my motorcycle and car test on the same day with the same examiner way back in April 1967. I bought my first mini, a 1966 Austin Seven for 395 and away we went. This car was so easy to fix, it was a b***er to stop rusting though but I persisted and eventually cured it all. I owned mini after mini until along came the mini Metro. Four years and it just wouldant stop rusting. Now I own a 2007 BMW MINI One. Kids grown up and just me and Mrs to drive. This car brings back the go cart years missed for so long. The engineering is first class. The bodywork is superb. Fuel economy is great and it is built in Great Britain. If you are thinking of having one just take a test drive and try to walk away...its a dream to drive.

I drove many Mini's in the past, great car in its era. I have driven the pretend Mini, and found it to be a very poor imitation, it as an insult to the name.

Have you seen the latest 4 door 'Mini'? It's bigger than a Ford Focus! So how is it still called a MINI????

Aye! that's why I like driving our wee Smart car, its really good fun to drive. Yet up until last year, I've always had big cars, but now that we are on a fixed income, and dont do near the mileage we used to do, the Smart is just perfect for us, as it costs so little to run as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    Have you seen the latest 4 door 'Mini'? It's bigger than a Ford Focus! So how is it still called a MINI????
    MINI is a brand name.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    MINI is a brand name.

I passed my test in my dad's Mini (Austin 7 strictly speaking) in 1967, and I really loved that car.

When it was introduced, its styling was revolutionary and it had many technical innovations. However, as the OP says, it rusted horribly and the general build quality was rubbish (albeit probably no worse than anything else in those days!). In spite of that, it caught the public's imagination and so became a valuable brand name.

I'm delighted to see BMW turning out good quality cars in the UK, and I don't care what they're called.

The Rootes Groupe with the Hillman Imp, Sunbeam Imp Sport and the Singer Chamois range were far better than the BMC Mini range I feel. I owned a 1965 Singer Chamois then a Singer Chamois Sport. Twelve inch wheels, ally OHC engine of Coventry Climax design (used by Colin Chapman) for the Lotus's. Water pump probs some will cry but I only ever replaced one pump and one radiator (14 daylight robbery). However back to MINI, the quality of all the fittings is the first thing which grabbed me. Paintwork is exceptional and although I have owned it for almost a year I still find new things about the car like this week the passenger cubby hole has an A/C inlet to keep your sandwiches cool in the summer!

Quote..." Hillman Imp, Sunbeam Imp"

I used to own both of them cars, back in the 70s, they were great fun to drive as well. I had forgotten all about them, till I saw them in that post.
    They were great for cornering at speed, with low C of G you could throw them round corners, Ah! happy days.

I'm sure the 'new' BMW MINI is a great car but ...

...how many people do you see breaking up one to keep another on the road? To me running a 'Mini' (and I mean a proper British 'rusty' version) was all about cheap motoring! When you ran a 'proper' Mini you used to keep it running on a shoestring by scrounging bits off mates like a Dynamo or (if you had a newer version) alternator and of course regular welding of the sills and 'tacking up' of the subframe mounts - even a subframe change would be expected of you! As for oil leaks ... you need them! ... no oil leak meant ...NO oil in engine!

MINI (PROPER) a cheap form of transport to keep the masses motoring!
    (Much in the same way as the good old pre war Austin Seven did)