Thread: MINI the legend lives on.

Hybrid View

Thumbs up MINI the legend lives on.

Hi all this is my first post. I passed my motorcycle and car test on the same day with the same examiner way back in April 1967. I bought my first mini, a 1966 Austin Seven for 395 and away we went. This car was so easy to fix, it was a b***er to stop rusting though but I persisted and eventually cured it all. I owned mini after mini until along came the mini Metro. Four years and it just wouldant stop rusting. Now I own a 2007 BMW MINI One. Kids grown up and just me and Mrs to drive. This car brings back the go cart years missed for so long. The engineering is first class. The bodywork is superb. Fuel economy is great and it is built in Great Britain. If you are thinking of having one just take a test drive and try to walk away...its a dream to drive.

I drove many Mini's in the past, great car in its era. I have driven the pretend Mini, and found it to be a very poor imitation, it as an insult to the name.

Have you seen the latest 4 door 'Mini'? It's bigger than a Ford Focus! So how is it still called a MINI????

Aye! that's why I like driving our wee Smart car, its really good fun to drive. Yet up until last year, I've always had big cars, but now that we are on a fixed income, and dont do near the mileage we used to do, the Smart is just perfect for us, as it costs so little to run as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    Have you seen the latest 4 door 'Mini'? It's bigger than a Ford Focus! So how is it still called a MINI????
    MINI is a brand name.

I passed my test in my dad's Mini (Austin 7 strictly speaking) in 1967, and I really loved that car.

When it was introduced, its styling was revolutionary and it had many technical innovations. However, as the OP says, it rusted horribly and the general build quality was rubbish (albeit probably no worse than anything else in those days!). In spite of that, it caught the public's imagination and so became a valuable brand name.

I'm delighted to see BMW turning out good quality cars in the UK, and I don't care what they're called.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    MINI is a brand name.

hi everyone, this is my 1st post and I'm hoping you nice people might be able to help.
    I have a 1981 white mini rac van which used to belong to my grandad when he worked for the rac putting up signs. he was given the mini because he didn't want a Morris minor which was used at the time. I would love to restore it to its former glory but have no pictures or information on specs such as the decals and light used on top. any ideas?
    any help would be much appreciated.

steve.