Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Winter Driving Tips!

As I'll shortly be embarking on public transport to collect new to me car (and only if weather looks good for two consecutive days!) I won't be able to carry all the regular gear I normally keep in the car, however, I have unearthed my rucksack and, apart from cold weather personal clothing and spares, ) this will have my 4 seasons sleeping bag, space blankets, first aid kit, mobile phone chargers (2), personal hygiene kit - no, don't mean the washbag!, seond pair waterproof boots (wearing one pair plus waterproof outers including fluorescent jacket, small gas stove with spare cylinder, lanterns - led one powerful for signalling, 2 small for light and spare batteries chocolate, dried food, two water flasks, shovel (fits in ice axe fitting) nesting cook pots and utensils. I don't give a damn if I look stupid - I'd rather be able to survive if the snow/ice hits and I'm stuck in a new to me car. I'll also be setting up a system to give folks eta at points en route and have a safety network sorted. It may only be 92 miles as the crow flies, but it involves one of the most treacherous road (A82) in the Highlands, two ferries (and kid you not, crossings can be very rough) and a very, very ice prone .

always tell people your destination incase of getting stuck

Tied to the last two posts (and at risk of derailing the thread), I've seen this mentioned recently - http://glympse.com/ - it allows you to send someone an expiring link to your GPS location if you've got a smartphone so they can track your journey etc...

Ah! that sounds great, .....just when I'm getting used to all the Apps that I've got on the new I-Phone 4s that my wife bought me for Christmas, now this

Leave early, drive extra carefully & always have a blanket in the back.

Having been caught in traffic jams/stand stills in this bad weather, its really handy to keep some disposable hand warmers in your car.
    It means you can conserve fuel and turn off your engine, especially if you are stuck for a while.
    They arent expensive I picked 2 packs up in my local petrol station for 2.
    Stay Warm

My tip would be to join the RAC and take your sat nav with you so that you know exactly where you are if you break down. Also a flask of hot tea

Default Chocolate and water

Mine is a simple tip but one that has proved valuable on so many occasions. Keep half a dozen mars bars and bottles of water in the boot in case of emergency. We were stuck in an overnight traffic jam recently and these were a god send for the children.

Always ensure that lights are kept clean, and that the usual maintainence is kept up to date, water and oil topped up etc. This weather can really take its' toll and it's easy to forget about the 'little' stuff when trying to prepare for all other eventualities

My useful tip for Winter driving is simple... Don't! It has never failed to amaze me the risks people take. You dont just put yourself at risk but endanger others too. Take a long hard think about whether you really need to make that trip and is it really worth the potential consequences.