Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Winter Driving Tips!

Always take a blanket with you and a flask of hot soup and make sure you always keep your mobile fully charged that way while you are waiting for help you will have something to keep you warm inside and out and be able to stay in touch and let everyone know where you are and that you are safe also take a torch with you if its night time driving and a hi vis vest so you can be seen.

Wrap up in your warmest clothes including gloves and hat before you go outside to clear your car in winter. Then you won't be tempted to skimp on clearing ice and doing all your routine checks, nor will you be tempted to leave the car engine running to warm it while you wait indoors, running the risk of someone stealing and driving the car away.

Back in the days before mobile phones, and I was working away from home, we used to carry everything we would need to survive in case we got stuck. The police used to check us at the snow gates, and if we had al the gear, they would let us through in convoys.

I even had a change of clothes, for interviews, along with all the other gear, even a plastic bottle with drinking water, (before the days of the ready made stuff) I used to travel up and down the A9 every week, and thankfully only had to use any of the survival stuff once, and that was when I hit a deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Biker&Driver View Post
    Of course automatics are a little tricky, but easier to set of with no throttle and you can still use the gears to slow down. A little dangerous pushing it, if you are on your own. If the car was rolling and you slipped on the ice!

I drove a rear wheel drive auto for years and never had a problem even in winter. Much prefer manual though, except in heavy stop/start traffic

Yeh it was good I didnt slip, I was very careful and had my hand on the wheel whilst pushing it.

I had to get off the section of ice so I could get to work and earn my bonus (working during a Christmas period)

As mentioned earlier, another good way for driving on ice and packed snow, is to stay in the highest gear possible, and keep the revs down, that gives the car more traction.. Avoid sudden changes in steering, and try to keep your breaking down a minimum.

This is my first winter driving a rear wheel drive car for years now, but with the winter tyres, that the previous owner had fitted, its a lot easier for me to drive.

I carry a camping gas fire in the boot in icy weather. It takes 8mins to clear about a quarter of an inch of ice from the windows, and warms up the interior at the same time. A lot quicker, and quieter, than sitting with the engine running for however long.
    Put Glycerin, (ordinary cooking Glycerin) on door rubbers, and wipers. Stops them sticking, and keeps them supple.
    Salt from the roads can film over lamp lenses, cutting light output to a noticeable degree.
    Clear snow from roof and bonnet as it will slip down obscuring vision when you have to stop.
    Last edited by Rolebama; 30-01-12 at 11:30. Reason: Additional info

kettle full of water, at a very low lukewarm temperature, so it does not crack your windscreen. much quicker than de-icer and better for the environment too!

When icy / snow. If you are unable to keep the car running to keep warm i.e. road closures and no where to go.
    Apart from my normal kit of spare snack / drinks, snow boots, warm clothing. I always carry emergency foil blanket / full lenght foil bag you can get into as well as my fleece blanket so if all else fails you can trap your own body heat, (pocket hand warmers are ace as well).
    Other tip of common sense really - keep a suitable distance away from vehicle in front to allow for the unexpected.

When driving in conditions where the road surface is slippery, imagine you have an open bottle of milk in the passenger footwell, and you are not allowed to spill it.

Quote Originally Posted by burnleystu View Post
    Get the wife to clear your car whilst you enjoy another slice of toast, always remember to look out of the window to issue directions
    Don't be so cheeky!