Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Your Winter Driving Tips!

Only break or accelerate if driving in a straight line

Cover the windscreen to save scraping it; wipe the interior of your windscreen to dry it and then use a moisture absorber pack to keep the windscreen clear overnight; scatter ash from a fire, (if you have one), onto the snow/ice; carry a sack or something to aid traction; carry wellies, shovel, blankets, flask, energy bars and a charged phone WITH credit on it; and finally If you're unsure,-WALK!

Do NOT accelerate too hard - this will only make your wheels spin! Just try to drive gently with only slight acceleration

My father always said to me 'drive to the weather conditions' and he is right. But in the case of snow and ice: Brake long before you would normally and gentle taps not full on, Be patient and follow other users it is not a good idea to 'cut' your own path through the snow, last nights 'hot' water bottle will be warm enough to clear your screen, wait for car to warm up it may not just be the screen that's frozen engine blocks hold water too! Be safe, be courteous enjoy your drive.

Red face Winter Driving Tips

Imagine you have broken down on the motorway. Ask you prepared? Ask yourself the following questions:

Do i have breakdown cover that will help me to get home and get my car to a garage?
    If i have to sit on the side on the grass verge near the hard shoulder, will i be warm enough and visible to other drivers? Do i have
    warm clothing and a torch in the car?
    Is my mobile phone fully charged?
    Do i have water,food and warm clothing to put on should my recovery take a long time?
    Do i have something i could sit on such as a blanket once i start to get tired?

Meeting your basic human needs in the event of a winter breakdown may make your wait more comfortable and in the worst case scenario it could save your life.

Always steering into a skid.

My tip is for when you're stuck in the car and the engine isn't running, keep your feet up off the floor of the car, either on the seat next to you or on your own seat. That way you won't let the cold seep through your body as quickly.

Don't drive along like a cake covered with icing, the snow can slide over your lights (if you even cleared them) and obscure them for other road users, a thick layer is also pretty heavy and can cause injury or damage if it slides off as you're driving along.

Put cardboard on your windscreen overnight and stop it icing over. Take an old carpet with you and stick it under the wheels if your car is skidding under the ice.