Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Winter Driving Tips!

Default Your Winter Driving Tips!

It’s competition time on the RAC Forum!

This month we’d like to hear your Winter Driving tips.

This can be anything that could help out your fellow motorist when conditions are poor - from the best way to prepare your car for adverse weather conditions, survival kit items to keep in the boot, roads to avoid in poor weather or even tips for careful driving in icy or snowy conditions.

Seen a useful driving tip and want to add more? Or disagree with someone else’s tip? Let us know here too!

Everyone who posts a tip for Winter Driving will be entered into a prize draw to win one of five RAC Winter Driving kits. The competition will close at midnight on 29th February. You can read the full T & C’s here

UPDATE: Thanks for your entries. The competition is now closed and we're pleased to say that our members: pudrick, Haypressto, Jack1969, Fradley and parcel are the lucky winners.
    Last edited by Owen; 05-03-12 at 15:05.

Smile Winter Driving Tips

If its icy, 30 mins before u set off, simply spray de-icer liquid on the windows and mirrors allowing it to soften and just before you leave, just wipe off.

Saves time and makes it safe for driving.................
    Last edited by parcel; 27-01-12 at 17:54.

Default when whether conditions are poor....

It always better to startl early....have enough time to drive through the poor whether conditions...
    - Before you start check the Front, Rear and side mirrors and if required clean them off...
    - make sure enough screen wiping liquied in there...
    Cheers,VJ.

Default Starting off

First if its really bad on the road, only go if you really must. Warm the car before you go. Ensure you have enougfh petrol. Carry a blanket (or 2) a torch (working), a bottle of water & a few choc bars etc. If you have a mobile phone check its got power & credit. If its slippery where you are starting from, pull away in 2nd gear with minimum revs.

Default Partner Assistance

Get the wife to clear your car whilst you enjoy another slice of toast, always remember to look out of the window to issue directions

Default Winter Driving Tips

Thats y I mentioned 30 mins before, it gives u time............

Default Driving on snow & ice

Set off with as little throttle as possible, none if you can. No use in spinning the wheels, that does nothing. Use the brakes as little as possible, use the gears to slow down (imagine your brakes don't work). Leave lots more room between the car in front. Start slowing down far earlier than normal. Look further ahead and anticipate more. Steer gently. Don't use fog lights unless there is fog and don't use use rear fog lights in the dark. It only dazzles drivers behind.

It doesnt apply to myself, I have an auto, I did get stuck once:
    My car was parked on a patch of ice and there was no traction, so I simply started the car, put it into neutral and pushed it off the icy section as it it was on a very slight gradient, so it was, job done!

Quote Originally Posted by parcel View Post
    It doesnt apply to myself, I have an auto, I did get stuck once:
    My car was parked on a patch of ice and there was no traction, so I simply started the car, put it into neutral and pushed it off the icy section as it it was on a very slight gradient, so it was, job done!
    Of course automatics are a little tricky, but easier to set of with no throttle and you can still use the gears to slow down. A little dangerous pushing it, if you are on your own. If the car was rolling and you slipped on the ice!

I drove a rear wheel drive auto for years and never had a problem even in winter. Much prefer manual though, except in heavy stop/start traffic

If you are venturing out in snow, Have some fat candles in the car and a lighter. If you do get stranded the heat from the candle will keep you from freezing and provide some light too.