Thread: Damaged Locking Wheel Nut (Bolt)

Unhappy Damaged Locking Wheel Nut (Bolt)

Ok, I may as well start off by admitting I know very little about the 'workings' of a car and rely on the experts for assistance. Which brings me on to my question/request.

Yesterday I had a flat tyre which I managed to remove successfully and thanks to my neighbour, I managed to get to a tyre fitter for a new tyre. Anyway, having fitted the tyre to the car and replacing the wheel nuts (or bolts) - its a Peugeot 307 btw I was tightening the 'locking' nut when the small round disc on the 'top' broke off so that the nut/bolt couldn't be tightened or released (the wheel brace simply spun round with no sign of 'locking' in place. On examining the nut/bolt it actually looks to be damaged and this damage does appear to be old, probably done when I had the tyres replaced.

My question, 'Is it possible to remove the locked nut/bolt even though it is damaged what would be the best way to do this. It was suggested that I call the RAC and have them attend but I'd feel like a real dope doing that, especially when they could be attending a more vital call.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

We would attend if the car was broken down, however you may have a number stamped on the nut which can be matched up providing you know the make or it's the original supplied by peugeot if you have a box or bag there maybe a number in there that can be used to order a new one failing that most garages can remove them and don't forget the other ones will need removing aswell.

Miss breakdown

Here is a selection of cheap tools to do it yourself.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=loc...ient=firefox-a

^
    All of those tools listed can be used with some success, but...

...in some cases an air tool may be required to 'drive/cut' the 'Left hand threaded socket' onto the locking nut due to the 'strength needed'.

Hometune: If you have the strength to do them with you're 'bare hands' everytime then I'm certainly never ever going to offend you!

I use an electric impact wrench!!! But you can whack them on with a massive hammer..............

some people say use a slightly too small socket, hammer it on, then use a socket wrench/knuckel bar to undo

I've used the "Smack an undersized socket technique" It worked three times, and snapped the stud on the last one. (Got the wheel off though) Only snag is I trashed 4 sockets in the process. Top Tip. If you buy a used car with locking wheel nuts, make sure you get the key!!!