Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proposed high-speed train - HS2

Quote......"(dare I say 'knowledge'?) on today's work patterns."

I never even knew we had them Snowball, with so many unemployed, and unemployable people?

Just kidding.

An old thread, I know, but the passing at speed is achieved by the tracks being furhtur away from each other. The "push off the track" effect is called the kinematic envelope and this reduced by keeping the opposing tracks furthur away from each other. As for building it, that is just a waste of money. All that is required is to get rid of all the intermediate stops at towns inbetween Glasgow, Edinburgh and London for "some" trains and that will reduce travel time by 3 mins -5 mins per station. The Pendolino is capable of high speeds that will be far in excess of those currently being achieved. On a trip to Edinburgh we hit a sheep south of Grayrigg. The train was stopped for 25 mins to check for damage to the carriages. By the time we got to Preston we made up 10 mins then a furthur 7 mins by Warrington. the train was terminated there due to engineering track work. So it is possible to speed up our railways if we wish. The French TGV has it's own purpose built track for hundreds of miles but when you get near the Cote D'Azur the speed drops to a crawl. Even out of Paris Gare Du Lyon it is not that fast. France has loads of land for a project like this, the UK doesn't.