Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Won't be renewing my RAC Membership

While in Ventimiglia,Italy I foolishly and inadvertently left my lights on while i went shopping, when I returned to the car it `of course' had a flat battery and I could`nt start it. I called Green Flag, after about half an hour or so they phoned me and said someone was on their way, but it might be a little while. After a very pleasant Pizza picnic on the beach (It was a very warm evening) A guy arrived on a little moped, he produced a small battery starter case, got me going in a few minutes. Whe I got home i had a cheque from them for keeping me waiting, £10 i think. Paid for the Pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivjen.howell View Post
    I was given a 6 hour wait as a priority lady on her own.....and managed to get the car towed and mended in 48 hours, while enjoying a glass of wine and dinner with a friend. I will not be renewing my membership either

Think you will find you and many more will be moving away, a patrol who comes into our café was telling us they are all fed up and don’t have the cover on the road with over 100 patrols gone ( made redundant I believe) and more to follow things will get a lot worse

I used to alternate my membership between the AA and the RAC every year, because they only rewarded new members and not loyalty or years of membership. Then a few years ago I found green flag gave a better deal, better price, and better service. Why would I go back to either the AA or the RAC? I know this is an RAC forum, but hey, unless they start to offer a decent service at a decent price I dont think so! In the two call outs I have had cause to make in the last 10 years I have found them brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by ustwo1966 View Post
    Think you will find you and many more will be moving away, a patrol who comes into our café was telling us they are all fed up and don’t have the cover on the road with over 100 patrols gone ( made redundant I believe) and more to follow things will get a lot worse

I joined the RAC last July, after poor deals with the AA `and Green Flag, last week i broke down, weather was bad (usual conditions for a break down) I phoned the RAC, a very nice lady asked all the right questions in a very charming voice and said "we will be about 35 minuets" , I had a Flask of tea and before I finished poring, the Mechanic arrived, 4 minutes, after a short discussion about the problem he set about all over the engine checking everything, fault found he repaired and re checked that everything was OK, he was very polite most helpful in all ways, BTW he was soaked to the skin, Now that's service, His name is Garry No 1498, thanks Garry, your a credit to the RAC. I do hope Garry gets a pat on the back.
    Last edited by ronjohn; 02-03-12 at 23:22.

Welcome to the site ronjohn,, hope you hang around and have a read through the rest of the forums and share more with us all

I think you have to realise that only the RAC and AA actually have their own patrols. Green Flag use local contractors - some are good and some are bad, but it is the luck of the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by ukmike2000 View Post
    I think you have to realise that only the RAC and AA actually have their own patrols. Green Flag use local contractors - some are good and some are bad, but it is the luck of the draw.
    AA use contractors when they are busy. Don't know about RAC. Also, some patrols are good and there are a few not so good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    AA use contractors when they are busy. Don't know about RAC. Also, some patrols are good and there are a few not so good too.
    Yes I think the RAC do the same as AA - but Green Flag don't have their own patrols at all as far as I am aware, and they don't monitor the standards that closely - although some contractors do mark up their vans. Some are good, some are not so good - in all breakdown services.
    Contractors tend to prefer a tow back to their own garages where they might be able to recoup some of their costs, patrolmen are supposed to prefer to get you going again I think.

Yes, I think you are right. When I did the contract work for the AA, I got an almighty bollicking for fixing a car on the M1. Apparently I should have loaded the car on to my truck and taken it to the owner's address. This was so we could charge the AA a LOT more for our service.
    Our local Green Flag garage is always offering to repair cars and you would only take your car there just the once, if you get my drift.

Quote...." Green Flag use local contractors - some are good and some are bad, but it is the luck of the draw."

You would think that they would have been inspected and vetted before they were added to the list.