Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won't be renewing my RAC Membership

Default Won't be renewing my RAC Membership

Having been stuck at the roadside for 5 hours in a freezing cold car, being fed a load of rubbish by RAC control and then speaking to "Customer Care" people who clearly do not care I will be returning to the AA. Oh and this was my first year of RAC Membership as they were cheaper than the AA - now I know why.

No No, to be fair, it is the introductory offer that is cheaper.

TBH I've heard these type of "horror" stories with all breakdown companies, if you do a google search you will see comments like this made against both rac & aa so if I was you, i would put it down to receiving bad service and make sure you complain to rac and find out why you was left at roadside for 5 hours.

We have had family membership of the RAC for 32 years and I don't think I will be renewing it this year. A month or two ago I decided to pull over on and stop my car. It was dark and raining and I did not notice that there was a very high kerb at the side of the road. My front wheel hit the kerb with rather a nasty bang. When I went to set off again I heard a grinding noise and was worried that I might have damaged the suspension or steering. I could not see any damage because it was so dark even with the aid of a torch, missed seeing the fact that the tyre had deflated. I decided to seek assistance from the RAC and when I explain what had happened I was told that there would be an 85 call out charge and then 2 per mile towing charge should it be necessary to move the car to home / garage. This was because it was classified as an "accident" rather than a "break-down". I refused the offer and instead called Green Flag which I get as a "freebie" with my NATWEST bank account. A very helpful young man arrived from Green Flag checked over the front of the car and changed my wheel asked me to do a test drive round the block and then sent me on my way. Green Flag then sent me a cheque for 10 because they were 20 mins over the promised attendance time of 1 hour. There does not seem much point in paying the RAC best part of 200 when they proved to be unhelpful in such circumstances when I can get the help I might need without any additional cost!

Aye! they do say in their TV advert.........."we may not be the biggest but we are determined to be the best"................ In your case they were right.

Quote Originally Posted by oddjob1963 View Post
    We have had family membership of the RAC for 32 years and I don't think I will be renewing it this year. A month or two ago I decided to pull over on and stop my car. It was dark and raining and I did not notice that there was a very high kerb at the side of the road. My front wheel hit the kerb with rather a nasty bang. When I went to set off again I heard a grinding noise and was worried that I might have damaged the suspension or steering. I could not see any damage because it was so dark even with the aid of a torch, missed seeing the fact that the tyre had deflated. I decided to seek assistance from the RAC and when I explain what had happened I was told that there would be an 85 call out charge and then 2 per mile towing charge should it be necessary to move the car to home / garage. This was because it was classified as an "accident" rather than a "break-down". I refused the offer and instead called Green Flag which I get as a "freebie" with my NATWEST bank account. A very helpful young man arrived from Green Flag checked over the front of the car and changed my wheel asked me to do a test drive round the block and then sent me on my way. Green Flag then sent me a cheque for 10 because they were 20 mins over the promised attendance time of 1 hour. There does not seem much point in paying the RAC best part of 200 when they proved to be unhelpful in such circumstances when I can get the help I might need without any additional cost!
    We would have attended for free if you had a spare tyre available and changed that for you as long as it was safe to do so. The 85 and 2 per mile you were notified of in case your vehicle was not repairable roadside (i.e wheel change in this case) We do this so that you don't get any shocks later on and you are fully aware at first point of contact.

FYI Green Flag would not recover your vehicle either unless you paid for a private recovery. Taken from their T&C's page 24:

"20.We can arrange to recover you following a road traffic accident
    but you will be responsible for any costs involved. However,
    you may be able to recover these from your motor insurer"

http://www.greenflag.com/downloads/b...over_terms.pdf

I don't know your current level of cover that you have with us but if you are paying the best part of 200 It would be fair to say you have a higher level than the Roadside and At Home level that you get "free" with your advantage gold account.

Default its called 'Dick Turpin and the RAC Bros'

Quote Originally Posted by phantomfan43 View Post
    Having been stuck at the roadside for 5 hours in a freezing cold car, being fed a load of rubbish by RAC control and then speaking to "Customer Care" people who clearly do not care I will be returning to the AA. Oh and this was my first year of RAC Membership as they were cheaper than the AA - now I know why.
    I have a family membership and have never claimed - when I needed help because i mistakenly put pertol in a diesel car they logged the call- and got a 3rd party to phone back with a quote of 180 - and luckily i managed to get a cheaper offer of 135 from a local company. Its a DISGRACE - whats the point of membership - you might as well do it yourself and save the money!!!

Well you did DIYed it you put the wrong fuel in,that not a breakdown,its stupidity not checking 1/the nozell 2/ the price shown on the pump prior to filling

Hmmm...........If you had a crate of beer in the car the RAC would move Heaven and Hell to get you moving. Or if you were daft enough to drive in bad snow and then couldn't get out your drive, the RAC would help you.
    Don't believe me? Look at this thread from a different section. http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthrea...er-Road-Rescue

I was given a 6 hour wait as a priority lady on her own.....and managed to get the car towed and mended in 48 hours, while enjoying a glass of wine and dinner with a friend. I will not be renewing my membership either