Thread: 10 questions car insurers need to explain , please help everyone thanks

Default 10 questions car insurers need to explain , please help everyone thanks

i bought a used subaru impreza in feb2011 and cheapest quote after using all the big comparison sites plus a few other companys was 1200+ fully comp and thats after i raised the voluntary excess to 500 ! im age 36 I have no no claims cos ive not driven for a few years, but no accidents/points etc licence is clean, id planned to start a business so told them car would be used for business use going to different peoples homes to fix things eg computers within 15miles of my home..how ever i ran out of money so couldnt start the business ! in a situation where job changes or circumstances change if we tell insurer what do they do ? (question1) ( i paid upfront the full amout to avoid the crazy extra 500 elephant wanted to charge for paying monthy so pushing cost to 1700) would they give some money back if id said car is now only for social/domestic/pleasure ? (question 2)

also i said id do 5000 miles a year in fact ive only done about 2000..so as ive done less do they ever give money back ? (question 3) as telling an insurer estimated miles is total guess work for all of us how does that work eg say id done 6000 miles then crashed and they could diagnose what milage id done somehow from crashed car..what happens seeing as ive driven more miles than i said i would ? (question 4) insurers ask us a hundred questions and happily take far too much money off us but fail to explain lots of situations like this..by law they should have to explain stuff like this upfront..anyone please answer any or all of my questions thanks

ps rac breakdown man who came to start dead battery said he had subaru impreza also but his fully comp insurance was just 250 he was age 40 just 4 yrs older..so why was cheapest quote i had 1200 ? (question 5) thats 100 a month ive paid just for car insurance ! ( I will not pay that again when my insurance is due for renewal very soon)

another thing is your asked if car has a tracker fitted, mine does so you tick the yes box..thats all we can do on form..but what if tracker isnt paid for eg switched on with tracking firm ? (question 6) should we have said no..thats just not clear so do insurers refuse to pay if say car was stolen and you said it had a tracker..which I do but its not switched on..they never asked that .

i valued the car at 2600 what i paid for it but when insurer read through info id told them they were trying to value it at 1700 and something so i said no i want it insured worth 2600..how do they value cars ? (question 7) do they use parkers magazine/website or what ? , it was impossible to find a parkers price guide in my area when i bough it so i just went along with price car was advertised at..do parkers still print their monthly magazine or is the valuations now on a website or by phonecall or something now (question8) ?

so where to get cheapest insurance ? (question 9) this is rac forum but i hope were allowed to mention their competitors, i will try rac but I mostly look on gocompare, comparethemarket, confused, directline..which couldnt quote me as i said car has a dump valve fitted (adds no power it just prolongs life of a turbo),adrian flux,etc 1 of the comparison sites had admiral and elephant as lowest prices for me but theye different brands of same company !

1 more thing a paid rac for a full inspection of the car ( 183ish) so rac would have had brilliant chance to see condition of car and value it..do rac link this info to their insurance database ? surely if i were to get a quote on a car the rac have actaully seen and not just had me tell them on phone about it they should be able too give better price..do they do this ? (question 10) ok if you can answer any or all of these anyone please do and tell me at start of each reply what question number your answering cheers

Welcome to the site chained, when it comes to purchasing car insurance over the phone, its best to have all your details at hand, in order to answer all the questions being asked of you.

The best way to do it is to go on line, and be prepared to spend time searching all the various web sites, and keep a record of the different quotes and the different levels of cover being offered.

You will be amazed at just how much you save my shopping around. I could have saved around 25 on ours, but I paid the extra, as it meant we got a courtesy car if needed as well as legal cover, good luck.

1. Probably charge you an 'administration fee'.
    2. Doubt it. They would most likely charge you an 'administration fee' above the amount of rebate you 'may' be entitled to.
    3. Definitely not. It is the use of those magic words 'up to'.
    4. If you think you may exceed the agreed mileate, give them a ring beforehand. Mine charges me 10 for every 1000 miles I go over. If you go over the mileage, you have broken your contract, and they may not pay out. Mileage can be checked from MOT database online.
    5. Just a guess, but your job and postcode could be what made the difference. Other than that, get a quote if you can from the same insurer.
    6. Trackers are activated in the event of your reporting car theft. Until that time, they remain dormant.
    7. They tend to use Trade Valuations. Not retail values. You can get agreed valuations from some companies.
    8. Secondhand car values fluctuate with the market, so in the event, if you can find ads to prove your car's value, this is accepted by most insurers in the event of a write-off.
    9. You just have to search. Prices vary continually.
    10. As far as I am aware RAC inspection is relevant to the condition of the car, not valuation. (Some Inspectors may drop a hint if they think car is over-priced.)
    As to your dump valve, it may well be counted as a modification by some insurers and cause an increase in premium. Most are fitted because of the noise they make, and very favoured by 'boy racers', so I would not be surprised if the increase was quite high.

Quote..."Just a guess, but your job and postcode could be what made the difference."

Aye! I dint know why, but years ago my premium was high just because I was a welding supervisor working offshore.

Then again years later when I was in the ambulance service? I've no idea why those jobs would cause such an increase?

I had an exorbitant quote some years ago on the grounds that as I was working as an AA Patrol, and already doing my 10,000 miles a year with them accident-free, the law of averages made me a greater risk iin my own car.
    How they worked that one out was beyond me.